Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Allow non-members to view user account page

JanJan
edited April 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi all!

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but here goes anyways.

Would it be possible to add a forum option where the administrator can choose not to allow non-members to view the user account page? I mean, if I publicly display my e-mail address and the account page is open for anyone, isn't there a possibility that the address could fall into the wrong hands, eg. spammers?

I'm just trying to be cautious here, that's all. Can anyone shed som light on this?

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Well, I write the email addresses with javascript so they are obfuscated from crawlers. But yes, you can certainly write an extension to do that. It's not in the core, though.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing that, Mark. Unfortunately I'm more or less inept when it comes to coding, so I can only hope that someone with better skills will write an extension for this.
  • Options
    ADMADM
    edited April 2006
    If the only reason you want to hide the profiles is because of spammers then like Mark said crawlers can't read them anyway. So that's not a problem.
  • Options
    Well, stopping spammers was just an example. There might be cases where the account page contains private information that should only be available to registered users.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    http://lussumo.com/addons/index.php?PostBackAction=AddOn&AddOnID=28
  • Options
    Wow, that was fast! The extension is working great!

Thanks, Mark!
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    No problem. I would have preferred to make it take you to the account page but not display anything and show an error explaining why you can't see the page, but this was easier and I haven't got a lot of time. So there's version 1 for you.
This discussion has been closed.