Users running a non-download version of Vanilla (pulled from github), on branch release/2019.016 or master from the last 2 weeks should upgrade to release/2019.017 or latest master for security reasons. Downloaded official open sources releases are not affected.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

Manual Installs

This discussion is related to the SphinxSearch addon.
2»

Comments

  • edited August 2012

    I don't know why you're having such issues, my manual install is also using ubuntu and I installed it just via apt-get and did no real further customization.

    You sure complain a lot for a free product and act outright rude for it to boot.
    Maybe that guide you followed was out of date and thus broke your config, why don't you try just using the sample config that ubuntu includes.

  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

    Gillingham said:
    I don't know why you're having such issues, my manual install is also using ubuntu and I installed it just via apt-get and did no real further customization.

    Good idea i'll re-install could be older ubuntu or old sphinx.
    sphinxsearch 0.9.8.1-2

    You sure complain a lot for a free product and act outright rude for it to boot.

    ok no feedback.

    Maybe that guide you followed was out of date and thus broke your config, why don't you try just using the sample config that ubuntu includes.

    I didn't follow a guide. I just used a sample db to test.

    I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

  • Considering you posted all of this in a thread started by me to address specific concerns of mine, if you just wanted to give feedback there were better places to begin with, otherwise I wouldn't be involved at all.

  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

    consider it your own personal thread. @Gillingham

    If and when I'll start my own personal thread "Manual Install" which may or may not mention issues or feed back relating to manual install.

    My sincerest apologies for posting in your thread.

    I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

  • @underdog can you split my thread - its annoying gillingham

    I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

  • mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay Arizona, USA ✭✭✭
    edited August 2012

    I know that this can get frustrating for everyone, but bear with me

    @peregrine, @Gillingham hit the nail on the head with this one, sql_field_strings are not supported in your version. As per the github readme, it says that it works with Sphinx Search engine v2.0.5. I should probably put this in the install wizard though, so this is good that we cought it early.

    Some other notes:

    peregrine said:
    I have to manually force turn this on even though searchd is running

    $Configuration['Plugin']['SphinxSearch']['SearchdRunning'] = TRUE;

    and now I can see the widgets (the finally stumbling block.

    Is there anything in the widgets? If it does not detect searchd running, there is little sense in having the widgets do anything.

    something is wrong with the check to see if the process exists.

    $Configuration['Plugin']['SphinxSearch']['PIDPath'] = '/var/run/searchd.pid';

    because the pid is present.

    The plugin needs the PID path to put in your config file, which is got from your distro's sphinx.conf (which is outdated). I use the sphinx API to return a status array which will tell me if it is running.

    why two checks for daemon and process id - neither of which work on my brand of linux.

    Only one check is made, and that is:

    if(SphinxClient->Status()) SearchdRunning = TRUE;

    I wonder if all the path settings would be better placed in a separate annotated config file instead of config.php.

    Maybe, but I don't see a point for this...they are grouped in your config file. There are a ton of them though.

    now I have to manually remove 14 lines from sphinx.conf every time I modify the dashboard setting for the plugin.
    I can see your search box now - but it doesn't find anything. Not sure if it is glitches or me.

    Well, if it does not detect it running, it will use the default search engine. Also just be sure that manual override is set to "Enable Sphinx" or something like that with green text.

    Template config file; https://github.com/mcuhq/SphinxSearchPlugin/blob/master/assests/sphinx.conf.tpl

    I'll fix that PHP error when reloading the doc count. It is weird because my machine doesn't get that....hmmmm....

    Since it sounds like you have access to the terminal, I would kill all instances of searchd, delete the whole SphinxPlugin folder, reinstall ubuntu's latest Sphinx build, and then run the manual wizard again.

Sign In or Register to comment.