Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla 2.1a24.1 ( Installation Issues )

422422 Developer MVP
edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Sure I asked this before.

Just installed fresh install version of Vanilla 2.1a24.1

Brand new database, clean etc etc etc
Nothing has changed on our server. Can install within seconds older versions, on the server. But this new version, seems to be creating problems again. So as I have tried searching the forums for answers, will ask here ...

Installed via FTP.

All folders chmod as normal.

Install process goes great, get BONK when viewing forum.

So add : $Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE; to config.php

Nope the server will just not allow me to change it. So go in via the backend, in cpanel filemanager. The folder conf is 0777 all files within it are 0777

I try and edit config.php online via filemanager... I dont have permissions. ?

Argghh Have I missed something painfully obvious ?

Also if config is writeable, why the hell in dashboard do you not program a switch to add $Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE; to the config file, so users can easily and swiftly turn error reporting on / off ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Options

what about cache directory permissions? and do folders exist.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP
    edited August 2012

Yup all good. ( aside from the bonk )

Deleted db. Deleted all
    Deleted all .ini files

Reuploaded conf folder
    Created new DB
    Run installer ..

Im thinking its Smarty .. as cache folder will not change permissions from 0755 to 0777

WIll redo it all again ....

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

I know this isnt released yet, but there must be something within vanilla that is cocking this up, or otherwise .. I am a total noob today.

What sets the original global permission of files, when installing ( uploading from scratch ) ?

Seemingly.. this could be an issue ? not sure

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

What sets the original global permission of files -

it is what your server provider set as default ownership for the user (at least in unix).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

mmm ... so how does unix know to set suchnsuch a folder to 0644 and others to 0755 ?

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Weird... its now working ?

FMD !

• Options

mmm ... so how does unix know to set suchnsuch a folder to 0644 and others to 0755 ?

well the permissions in the zip probably override.

but if you were on unix and created a new file

e.g. cat > newfile  or vi newfile.

it would take the default permissions that are set for your user.

and the owner just gets reset

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Yep, but if you FTP a whole heap of files to your server, certain folders etc have specific perms already set. Some files are 644 some 755 etc ? just wondered what controls this.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

when you ftp it is based on the umask for the ftpuser you logged in under
    for file creation. ftpping a directory may not change the directory perms if they already exist (not sure). But if it creates it is on the umask.

ftp also has an optional command
    chmod mode file-name
    Change the permission modes of the file file-name on the
    remote sytem to mode.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/understanding-linux-unix-umask-value-usage.html

tar, gzip, cpio - all have permissions stored in the compressed or archive file - so when it creates directories, I believe it will use what is stored if it doesn't grant more permissions

cat /etc/profile
    and you should see a default umask
    if it is not overwritten in your user profile or startups like .bashrc

you can also type umask at the command prompt if you have access.