Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Multiple forms on one page getting same id

edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm sorry if this has been answered before. I searched but couldn't find anything.

I am working for a custom application internally for our company. In our application, I have a page that has two forms on it. In my controller, I create two forms like so:

$this->Form = new Gdn_Form();
$this->Form2 = new Gdn_Form();

In the view, I use them both and they work correctly. However, when I check the page in developer tools in Chrome, both forms have the same id - 'id="Form_Form"'. This is causing me issues because I am using javascript to do some client side form validation (along with server side validation if javascript is disabled for some reason). Also, in the controller, I get the POST'd values from "$this->Form->FormValues();" which returns the values for whichever form is returned (which seems weird to me also).

My questions:
1) Why do the forms have the same id? How do I change that so they are different?
2) Is there a way to use javascript client-side to validate the two forms? Admittedly, I am not very good at javascript. I'm just learning it. Currently, I use "$('#Form_Form').submit(function() {.....}" to validate.

Any help would be appreciated. Unfortunately, the page is not public but I can past in more code if needed.

Thanks!

Comments

• Why really depend on how it is being used but it is a good idea to set your own prefix.

$this->Form->InputPrefix='MyPrefix';
        echo $this->Form->Open();
        echo $this->Form->Close();

and

$Sender->Form->InputPrefix='MyPrefix';
        if($Sender->Form->IsPostBack() != False){
        }

alternatively use

echo $this->Form->Open();
    if($this->Form->GetValue('Task')=='MyTask')
        echo $this->Form->Errors();
    $this->Form->AddHidden('Task','MyTask');
    echo $this->Form->Hidden('Task',array('value'=>'MyTask'));

and

if($Sender->Form->IsPostBack() != False){
               $FormValues = $Sender->Form->FormValues();
               switch($FormValues['Task']){
                     case 'MyTask':
                     break;
               }
        }

grep is your friend.

• x00, thanks for the input. I am currently using your alternative method above in my PHP code and it works. However, that didn't help with the javascript code because both forms had the same id. I did get a work around working by using the containing divs though.

Your first method does take care of the problem though. It lets me change the id of each form so I don't have two forms with the same id.

Thanks!