HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Sunk discussions display wrong 'last comment' time in discussion listing.

nicepaulnicepaul
edited August 2012 in Feedback

In the discussion list view, a sunk discussion displays the time for the last comment which was made before the discussion was sunk.

They should show the time for the most recent comment made, even after the discussion was sunk.

Comments

• Options

I think that is the nature of the beast and the logic of how discussions are displayed on discussion topic page. The time when you click on the discussion in the comment field is correct, right.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/165569/#Comment_165569

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Yes, the correct time is shown alongside the comment.

That may be the logic that runs the system, but it's at odds with the logic of users who've just posted to a sunk discussion and don't understand why it hasn't updated the time in the discussion list.

User interfaces should be easy for users, rather than easy for computers or developers.

Paul

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

This really is a nitpick @nicepaul. There's no need to get into a huff and preach off about ux.

Making a system that can be installed on a lot of hosts and run reasonably well often involves trade-offs. This is one of them.

• Options

I didn't mean to sound huffy and preachy, my apologies.

I fell foul of this problem by glancing down a discussion list and being confused about why it's showing that I made a comment while I was asleep.

I don't think it's a nitpick – the data is there (it's shown alongside the comment once you've clicked through), so I didn't think it would be much of a change to show the right bit of data on the list view. I thought this would be a small fix to a problem that maybe hadn't been spotted, that's all.

Paul

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Yeah, the thought process in building a system that scales is completely different than that of a small community platform. You really don't want to join data in unless it's completely necessary. You make little concessions here and there and them maybe clean them up at some point in the future.

Here's the thing, the only people that usually notice these little concessions are those on small or tester communities. Once a community is off and running you don't notice these things because the data is moving fast.

Sometimes we make a concession and it comes out way weirder than we realized. Don't worry, we do listen to people and iterate all the time. We take pride in our software and don't just brush off complaints. At the same time we try and take suggestions in the aggregate.

With sinking in particular we think that this is a great, unique feature that Vanilla has to offer. We've seen so many trollish arguments just gently go away with sinking. Heavy handedly closing a discussion can't do this.

It is a feature that requires a little faith and knowledge from moderators though and often people can't wrap their heads around it.

In terms of the concession sinking requires, I did posit that it would have been better to have a different sort field on the discussion table, but it really was a hindsight 20/20 kind of thing.

And when Vanilla 2.0 first launched we were in the mindset of jumping when ever the community asked for stuff. But then maybe a year ago we realized that it was really holding us back. We have so many ideas of what a forum can be, and concentrating on old-school nit-picky things means we can't concentrate on making Vanilla what it can be.

We have a lot left to do with Vanilla and that's our main priority right now.