Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Newbie : Changing Theme forum Bonk, etc *

UnderDogUnderDog MVP
edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
This discussion was created from comments split from: [Documentation] Changing Theme and my Forum goes Bonk.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• Hi people, I am also new to Vanilla, had successfully set up a forum people have started to join, one guy complained that using his phone he is getting a bonk error, and I remembered seeing a mobile friendly theme. Rather than change over totally I click the thumbnail or link I cannot be totally sure to just have a look at what it looks like and by doing that I broke my install.

Everybody gets a bonk now.

I have followed the instructions above and the error came up as this: "$compile_dir '/home5/ukoverlo/public_html/misifi/forum/cache/Smarty/compile' does not exist, or is not a directory" just in case it was a silly mistake I created a directory "compile" where the path statement said it should be but no good, it's just the same.

Is there a fix as I would hate to have to ask everyone to sign up again.

Thanks
    John

• You not only have to create the directory you have to give it write permissions.

think about it - it is a compile directory - so it is going to write information there.

try permissions 777 on the compile directory.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I made it 777, as I assumed that would be the case

• OK I have just tried a different browser and it is working fine and dandy. Sorry to waste your time I should have known to clear the browser cache.

Thank you for your guidance

John

• I am afraid it has not sorted it, I can log on as my user name but as soon as I log on as admin it goes wrong again.

I have noticed an inconsistency in the error report if that means anything.

The headline notice says:Smarty error: the $compile_dir '/home5/ukoverlo/public_html/misifi/forum/cache/Smarty/compile' does not exist, or is not a directory

but the error breakdown below it says:
    The error occurred on or near: /home5/ukoverlo/public_html/misifi/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php

There is clearly a difference in the path statements, is this important at all?

Thanks
    John

• the $compile_dir '/home5/ukoverlo/public_html/misifi/forum/cache/Smarty/compile' does not exist, or is not a directory

the question first to be answered is:

does this directory exist "/home5/ukoverlo/public_html/misifi/forum/cache/Smarty/compile"

also delete any .ini files in your cache.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• yes the directory exists and there are eight .ini files in the cache directory

• misifimisifi New
    edited August 2012

I have found the problem, when I created the directory "Smarty" I made it with a lower case s eg "smarty".

Thanks