Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Random Session Start errors

edited August 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hello, I randomly am recieving this error message: Notice: session_start(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/sessions) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/callgirl/public_html/library/Vanilla.Session.class.php on line 63

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a server setup error. Do you have any other apps running which use sessions? Are you hosted with a company or by yourself? If you're with a company and you dont use sessions elsewhere (i.e. its not necessarily just a vanilla issue) it might be worth asking their support team.
  • Options
    It is on a shared host, and I am not using sessions any where else... I just am starting the domain, I figured it was a host issue, but I figured I would ask here first.. Thanks.
  • Options
    Sure thing. Give them a shout and see what they say, if you dont have any luck come back and we'll give it some more thought.
  • Options
    having same problem as FlexIDX could you solve the problem? i do not have any session problems with other applications. thanks
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Your other applications might not use php sessions. This is a server configuration issue, not a vanilla issue.
  • Options
    ok interesting, as i do run own applications with php session handling without any problems. im on a public LAMP configuration: mysql 4.0.24, Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-16 mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7e ist the error inquestion related to some kind of session cleanup call within vanilla?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited August 2006
    This is the error quoted above:

Notice: session_start(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/sessions) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/callgirl/public_html/library/Vanilla.Session.class.php on line 63

It looks pretty straightforward to me. session_start was called and it failed to access the sessions directory, returning a "Permission denied" error. Server problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    this is what i found: as mark stated this is a server issue related to the php session garbage collection. some providers seem to prevent access to the session_save_path on purpose out of security reasons (but it could also be a misconfiguration). - the error shows just randomly according to your php setup (look for session.gc_probability and session.gc_divisor); to trigger the error on every session call (for testing purpose) you may set ini_set('session.gc_divisor',1) before session_start() - a way to avoid the error would be to set your own session_save_path (and make the folder writeable) - much simpler is to turn off detailed error_reporting in vanilla (appg/headers.php) as the error qouted is a 'Notice:' error that is only shown with detailed error reporting hope that helps
This discussion has been closed.