HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Conflicting instructions on creating a new theme

nicepaulnicepaul
edited August 2012 in Feedback

http://vanillaforums.org/page/ThemeQuickStart
This page says copy and rename the default theme folder, then "create a custom.css file in the /design folder of your custom theme".

Whereas the readme.txt file in the default theme folder says "Create a /design subfolder and copy /applications/dashboard/design/style.css and /applications/vanilla/design/vanilla.css into it"

I'm not posting this here to ask which instructions are right (they probably both work), but I'm posting this here to say that it's confusing to find conflicting instructions like this, both of which are seemingly the official source. I followed the first set of instructions the first time, then on my next install I found the second instructions and was sure this wasn't what I'd done before...

Paul

Comments

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Thanks for the catch. The first set of instructions are the correct ones.

• Options

I'm currently going down the route of the second one.

Is there anything wrong with doing this? It seems to be working.

• Options

The easiest way is method one, whereas the second method is a little bit more technically demanding, if it is your first vanilla theme, option one is probably the one to follow as it is easier.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

/applications/vanilla/design/vanilla.css is not present in the vanilla 2.0.18.4 source. So it would be impossible to follow the instruction without deviation, unless you have previous versions of vanilla or are interpreting vanilla.css to be something else or I am missing vanilla.css.

What I don't understand is Todd said

The first set of instructions are the correct ones.

http://vanillaforums.org/page/ThemeQuickStart

wouldn't you want to follow that suggestion. Otherwise you should just report back results that the method that Todd did not recommend didn't work corrrectly (if it didn't). and then Todd could say

The first set of instructions are the correct ones.

and then you could say but I followed method 2.

and then Todd could say the first set of instructions are correct.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    nicepaulnicepaul
    edited August 2012

Peregrine – I would have followed Todd's recommendation that the first set of instructions were correct, but I was already some way down the line of following the second set of instructions (minus the vanilla.css file, which I couldn't find).

The second set of instructions is working fine just having copied style.css.

As I said in my original post, I wasn't asking which was the right thing to do (I knew the second set of instructions worked). I was simply trying to help by pointing out the conflicting instructions so that it could be corrected in future releases.

Paul

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

@nicepaul Good points!

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.