HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

How to alter the render after a post?

drukargindrukargin New
edited August 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I am writing a plugin that replaces text matching a certain pattern in a discussion or comment body before render. So the basic idea is, if a body contains a pattern, that pattern will be stored in the database but will appear as something else entirely.

For new page loads, this is working great using DiscussionController_BeforeDiscussionRender. However, I am having trouble finding what to hook to do these substitutions immediately after posting a comment. Changing any of the 'body' fields I can find in Senders from PostController_BeforeCommentRender, _BeforeCommentsRender, and _AfterCommentSave has no effect on the ajax'd output after posting a new comment.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    edited August 2012

please correct me if i didn't get it correctly. you wanted to transform something it the discussion or comment content submitted before you save it in the db?

if yes, why not just , save the content as it is then just trasform when the content will be displayed? this way your saving the original content posted by the user?

• That is actually what I am doing. :) I found the right hook; I need to alter $Sender->CommentData->Result->FirstRow()->Body on DiscussionController_BeforeCommentsRender and PostController_BeforeCommentsRender. This handles new page loads and ajax loads.

Thanks!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

@Aolee said:

why not just , save the content as it is then just trasform when the content will be displayed? this way your saving the original content posted by the user?

@drukargin
    it is better to transform on display rather than modifying content in database in my opinion.

AfterCommentFormat_Handler

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Aolee
  • I am transforming on display; I'm manipulating the result of the query, not the information in the database. The database stores a token, which the plugin transforms into human-readable data. I'll take a look at AfterCommentFormat, though I think I want to be before that.

Thanks again!