Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

error when click on Apply for Membership

ArtursArturs New
edited September 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I got 2 bugs.

1. sign in button and Apply for Membership is almaust invisible
    http://www.virtualaisasistents.lv/tests/vanilla/

2. When I sign up for new account i get bug un header and also there is this blue line under Apply for Membership or Login.
    http://www.virtualaisasistents.lv/tests/vanilla/entry/register?Target=discussions

Im still new in all this, so if some one could give me a tip how to fix this?

Comments

• Options

sorry, I use fruit theam form vanillaskins.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

look at theme documentation and how to modify custom.css.

try adding this so it doesn't popup.

$Configuration['Garden']['SignIn']['Popup'] = FALSE;

use firebug to fix css problems

e.g.  change the color on Box
    <div class="Box">
    <form id="Form_User_Register" action="/tests/vanilla/entry/register" method="post">

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

hi there, i got the same problem as arturs. My new forum website is www.golfvillage.com.my. After first time configuration and i logoff, i can't seem to login to the dashboard anymore.

Any attempt to click on the signin button, and the pop-up dissappears.

Can anyone help me / guide me on what i can do to resolve this issue? I want to launch my new forum on the first week of Jan 2013.

Many thanks and hope to hear from somone in the Vanilla Forum community.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@bherayyencheong I think your problem is you installed Vanilla in your root and not in it's own directory aka /forum/. If you look at the path of your files one can see that. You need to reinstall in the proper location. Create a new directory in your root called forum. Install Vanilla there. Then delete the installation in your root. See if that works. In any event that is how it should be installed.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@vrijvlinder said:
    bherayyencheong I think your problem is you installed Vanilla in your root and not in it's own directory aka /forum/. If you look at the path of your files one can see that. You need to reinstall in the proper location. Create a new directory in your root called forum. Install Vanilla there. Then delete the installation in your root. See if that works. In any event that is how it should be installed.

@vrijvlinder
    are you suggesting that vanilla needs to be installed in a sub-directory as a general rule??

• Options
    edited December 2012

@hbf Yes I thinks so, if you install into the root then you will have a problem with backup folder. And any other apps like WordPress. As far as I understand they need to be in their own directories.

When you install Vanilla using simple scripts, it asks you to name the folder you wish to install in and if it does not exist to create one automatically. The default is / the root as with anything and that would work as long as you never make a backup folder in the root for this app. It has to be /forum/. Or any other name, but in it's own directory.

How do I know this?

I made backup folder in the /forum/ directory accidentally, then nothing worked, started with not being able to log in, pop up disappeared and escalated to Bonk.It takes a bit for the errors to catch up that is why it escalates. I realized what I had done. I mistakenly backed up in the wrong place causing this. As if I had double installations. I deleted the backup and all was normal again. So if you do install in the root, you would need to put everything else in another directory. I think it is easier to just have a /forum/ where it should be....

it is a good idea to put it in a subdirectory (ex.: http://www.yourdomain.com/vanilla/)

in Step 3

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/installation#step1

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

I've never used simple scripts for installation. I self host and have a few different installations.

My primary forum is located in the root of my domain. But that site does not include any other applications at the root.

I also host http://olympiaeagles21.org which uses a wordpress front end, in that installation the forum is in a subdirectory.

The main issue is that you can not have two applications which use an index.php bootstrapper in the same directory, otherwise your apps will conflict with each other.

You can move things around, just delete the cache contents.

• Options

@hbf I have 7 domains each using a Vanilla forum and Wp for blogs etc. Having anything more than one thing in the root is/would be madness ! I like things organized so the ftp is fast and I know where I am putting stuff in. If I was to put the forum in the root I would have to move the backup somewhere else, that is just adding unnecessary-file-system-bureaucracy to me... Each website has it's own index and homepages and more pages...my closet is disorganized but these have to be kept organized ... 0_o

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

like i said, you can't have more than one application in the root. on the oly eagles site, nothing actually exists in the root. the wp is in a folder, the forum is in another. the root has an htaccess file that does url redirection.

it's simple. only one application per base directory. if you use a domain root for your forum then so be it. it works just fine. if you disagree, feel free to visit http://homebrewforums.net and let me know what isn't working properly. if you still don't believe works then... well i don't know.

if two applications both use an index.php bootloader, how could you put them in the same directory? that's not messy, that's just plain non-sense. you can't have two files with the same name in the same folder. it's not about organization, it's about basic computer science.