Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Need advice on archiving old forum.

edited September 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi,

So far everyone here at vanillaforums has been incredibly helpful in getting me all setup. So thank you!

Right now my new forum is pretty stable (with the exception of wordpress comments suddenly not working properly but w/e) and I need to figure out what to do with my old phpbb forum. When moving over to vanilla I decided to not import the content since the site had been running for 5-6 years and we had 8k+ users (not all active, obv) with tons of threads that had 3-800 pages. I felt a fresh start would be good and now I'm looking to setup some sort of archive on the old/new forum.

Any suggestions on what I should/could do? My new forum is on a new hosting plan so maybe I could just pull info from select threads and create an archive on the new forum? I'm trying to be proactive about it but I'll have my old hosting for about another year so in theory I could just leave it up as locked threads and have some sort of message saying that the user is viewing an old thread.

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

You could 'prune' your phpbb forum's db first, getting rid of anything you know won't be needed, then import it to a 2nd Vanilla installation.

I prune my forum threads from time to time and move older threads to a 'wayback' forum, which holds all the old stuff.

Mostly users don't need to use it, but it's there for posterity.