Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

emotify not working on all forums

vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
edited September 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

**I have installed Vanilla forum on 4 different websites. The emoticons work on three but not on one. I found the problem and it has o do with missing code. Somehow the html code for the div EmoticonBox is missing. I entered it from copying from another forum into firebug and the emoticons showed up. How can I fix this? where can I enter the missing html ?

Here is the forum where the emoticons do not show up, http://mydatabass.com/Forum/
Here they do show up http://www.godfreezone.org/Forum/

These are all hosted by me. I can't figure out why the code is missing form one and not the others.

Comments

• Tell more about how you copied the div EmoticonBox from 1 working source into the non-working source

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• you don't have the plugin enabled on one site.
    The only apparent plugin enabled is cleditor on http://mydatabass.com/

whereas on GFZ forum you have cleditor, flagging and emotify.

try enabling the plugin, that's where I would start.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited September 2012

Yea in firebug I found the two emotify installs were not the same the one that worked showed a code the other was missing. But there is no way that I know of to enter that because it is within the java . I had two browser windows open one with working emotfy the other not, looked at the html saw the discrepancy, copied the html(from the firebug console) from one to the missing one and it worked. Of course it is not a permanent change....at least one can figure out the problem. It was easier to reinstall fresh than to figure out how to hack the java.

Since I could not find a place to put the missing code,I fixed the problem , once I found out what it was. A missing div code in the Emotify plugin , I ended up removing the plugin and downloaded a fresh copy then uploaded it to the directory. The Emoticons work across the board now. Had to change the style of the drop down from the cleditor . That was not hard to find where to edit stuff.

So if the emoticons do not show up, just dump the entire plug in and re install it. I recommend Filezilla.app to ftp your stuff into your host.

@peregrine
    You must have looked when I was dumping and reloading. I finished fixing the problem last night at 3 am :)

Well I thought I fixed the problem but Emotify only works on one of my forums. I tried to reinstall the plugin but somehow data went missing and not all the files were there. I tried copying the good version on the forum where it works and copy to the other forum plugin folders but it did not work. On one the emoticons showed fine but did not show on the post. On the other the emoticons did not show on the drop down.

There is a missing code after div class="EmoticonContainer Hidden" style="display: block; all the links to the emoticons are missing. That is why they do not show up on the drop down.
    I can only guess there is a problem with downloading the plugin. Or the plugin has errors.
    There is no visible html file to be able to fix because it is within the javascript. The only way to see what is happening is using firebug and inspect element.

This plugin is not downloading completely or is faulty. I don't understand why it will work in one forum and no the other. Well I know what is wrong but there is no way to fix it.

I have disabled Emotify on 3 of my forums I am tired of trying to fix. I hope the developer of this plugin has an updated version. Otherwise it should Not be approved for download !!

@UnderDog said:
    Tell more about how you copied the div EmoticonBox from 1 working source into the non-working source

I opened two windows one with a different forum, The one that works and the one that does not. I used Firbug to inspect element on both windows and compared what was there. That is how I saw the missing code. I copied it from the firebug console to the other where the code must go. It worked, the emoticons showed. That is as far as I got with that since the editing is temporary. If there was an html file that could be fixed it would be great but it is in javascript. Within the file.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

If you believe the download is bad. All you have to do is zip up the
    plugins/Emotify

from your forum that works

copy the zip to the new server and unzip in the proper area.

If you actually want help, leave the plugin intact and enabled on the forums and post the link of the good and bad forums, and wait for an answer before you start re-manipulating things. Are all of your forums the same version of vanilla?

the other thing you can do is identify the version # of the emotify that works and download the same version number assuming you have the same versions of vanilla.
    Do you have different themes and different plugins running on each forum. This could also be a factor. You also should verify if you have the same versions of your editor. You could also try the emotify on the forums that don't work with the default theme and no other plugins except possibly buttonbar. These are the things i would suggest before you start knocking the plugin. Because it seems to work for others.

Do you have the same version of jQuery on each of the forums?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited September 2012

I am using Vanilla on 4 forums, on sites I host. All the forums are using the same version of Vanilla as it was an available install direct from my host provider FatCow via the control panel there. I am using the same theme on all . DarkMist. Only changed some css for colors and backgrounds.

"Do you have the same version of jQuery on each of the forums?"

Yes I do. and checked the content to make sure it was identical .

These are the things i would suggest before you start knocking the plugin. Because it seems to work for others.

Trust me I looked into it all night and all day and night today. Like I said It works on one only. So that is proof it can work. I would like it to work on the rest but after the div class="EmoticonContainer Hidden" style="display: block; all the links to the emoticons are missing. Like if the code got cut off. If it was possible to somehow add it back in that would solve the issue. But it is part of the javascript and can only be seen using firebug console and inspect the element to see the html within. I can copy the stuff(missing links to emoticon images) into the one that does not work and make it work. But only in the firebug console it does not change the actual code permanently.So there is a problem with missing code on some file or it gets chopped away.

How can the same identical files function differently ? I copied the ones that worked directly from one forum directory to the other forum directory and checked the contents it all was there identical.Same thing However something is wrong with the code or it gets chopped when you look into it with firebug.

This could or could not be my host provider Fatcow they only recently made Vanilla available to website owners.

What gets me mad is it works on one as it should. On the others the same problem the dropdown does not show the emoticons, but if you type the emoticon it will show on the post. which makes the drop down irrelevant if you know how to type a smiley.

Something is messing up . I really would like to find a fix, I see many others having same issues and have not found a fix. It is somewhat disconcerting is all.
    :(

edited September 2012
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

You have different emotify.js scripts on each site you can't expect them to work the same.

on one site it is (this is from the plugin add-on and you are correct it should be removed)

/**
    * This is a modified version of Ben Alman's dual GPL/MIT licensed "Javascript
    * Emotify" jQuery plugin.
    */ 

on the other site it is (you have the emotify that comes with vanilla core, no need to download plugin).

$(function(){
    // Insert a clickable icon list after the textbox
    $('textarea#Form_Body').livequery(function() { 

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

emotify coming from core plugins vs downloading the add-on

maybe it should be removed from the add-ons downloads because it comes with core.

@vrijvlinder

disable emotify on site that doesn't work.
    totally delete anything that has to do with emotify on the site that doesn't work

do a zip on the files /plugin/Emotify on the site that does work (or pull the vanilla core zip file down again and take the emotify plugin from there) and put it on the site that doesn't work.

if you don't do the above I can't help you any further.

@peregrine
    Yes that totally makes sense about the plugin that you can download versus the one that comes in vanilla package are not the same.

I did what you just suggested last night (I was determined) I deleted all the Emotify from all the forums except the original install on the forum that works.
    Made new directories for Emotify on the sites plugin folders, Then I copied the good Emotify into the new Emotify folders. Copied from directory to directory using the internal control panel, not copy paste.
    That seemed to fix the problem on all the forums.

@peregrine said:
    emotify coming from core plugins vs downloading the add-on

maybe it should be removed from the add-ons downloads because it comes with core.

Yes, and that could cause the problem because the download is missing files or the code is bad. Or it causes a conflict.

I think I fixed them all ...still have two more forums to create

http://mydatabass.com/Forum/
    http://www.godfreezone.org/Forum/
    http://www.zusound.com/Forum/
    http://www.godfreezone.org/Forum/
    http://freeplanet3.com/Forum/

edited November 2012

The Plugin download is missing the file class.emotify.plugin.php it only comes with default.php . And as you pointed out, just copying that missing file into another js version of the plugin does not work. In case people tried to do this like I did initially .

Thanks for all the help and support.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

The Plugin download is missing the file** class.emotify.plugin.php** it only comes with default.php .

that is not the problem. plugins can be written two ways. I wouldn't worry about trying to determine why one works or it doesn't.

P.S. I tried to upload a screenshot of the problem for you and I couldn't add a png file or a .jpg file.. I don't know if it is my browser or the vf forum has a glitch in adding jpg files.

could you try attaching a sample .jpg file just to see if it works on this forum.

just click attach file and choose a jpg file. add a comment to the post and post it.

@peregrine said:
    I wouldn't worry about trying to determine why one works or it doesn't.

Yea indeed as long as it works who cares why lol ok here is a pic see if it works

the upload attach file works for me, then again I am on a mac and just about anything works ;0

• @vrijvlinder said

here is a pic see if it works

thx. for testing attachments for me. it must be my machine.