Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Messages visible by role?

garrickgarrick New
edited October 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Is there any way to make messages unique to a particular role group?

Currently running several forums within one, the forum separation being categories. Roles/permissions are related to each category (i.e. those with view/post permission for Category1 can't see anything in Category2 (the 'other' forum)).

I'd like to be able to show messages to logged in users based on their role, so Category1 users see different messages to Category2.

Is this possible, via plugin or other means?

Comments

• Options

Within categories you can have categories that show messages to those specific user roles. By messages I still mean discussions, unless you want to show notifications ('new version of Vanilla is released', or something similar to that)

Here on Vanilla, for example, we have a category called 'Developers' and only users with the role 'Developer' can post in it. A 'view' permission can also set on that category, but in our case, everyone can view, but only Developers can post.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Hi and many thanks for the reply.

It is the messages (notifications?) I want to be able to be role specific if that's at all possible (DASHBOARD >> APPEARANCE >> MESSAGES).

Your Developers forum sounds very similar to the setup I have also and for discussions this works perfectly, just not so for messages that I can see.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2012

It is the messages (notifications?) I want to be able to be role specific if that's at all possible (DASHBOARD >> APPEARANCE >> MESSAGES).

you need to clarify this, it is not at all clear what you want to do. What behaviour do you want? messages come from individuals - so what you are saying does not seem to be understandable.

you might also try the pockets plugin.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Sorry this isn't clear. The messages that are like announcements are the ones I would like to have visible to certain roles.

If you go to Dashboard >> Appearance >> Messages you can set announcement-style messages that are visible on certain pages, above or below content.

The current settings allow placement, and also whether the message is closeable by the user, but not which users it may be shown to. From what I can see they are global to all forum members and I would like to show different messages to different members based on role.

I hope that helps, please let me know if it is not making sense still. :)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2012

try pockets plugin and see if that can meet your needs. it can be set to roles or permissions and placement of messages on certain pages (e.g. inbox).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

^^ What he Says :-) ^^

I've checked the Roles & Permissions for those Messages (notifications) and it's very few options there.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Thanks for your ongoing responses! The pockets plugin is fantastic and just what I need (if only I could get it working). Have grabbed the class.pocket.php from github (where the roles/permissions feature will actually save) but it still won't show to just those roles selected. Will take a look through the code though and see if I can figure something out.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

• Options

you have to cycle through save and then edit. It looks like it won't let you do anything but after you save you can come back to it to adjust.

• Options

Thanks peregrine,

I've tried that and, while it appears to save, any role is able to see the pocket - not just the one(s) added in the conditions.

Reading the questions on the pockets plugin page http://vanillaforums.org/addon/pockets-plugin, this would appear to be an ongoing issue that doesn't yet have a fix (if you are aware of a fix though, please point me in the right direction).

Have tried in Vanilla 2.0.18.4 and 2.0.18.3, and Pockets versions up to 1.0.7 and still this issue persists. Some of those who have asked questions (specifically leafmonster) indicate the function to apply the role-based visibility isn't implemented.

I, and I'm sure many others - including the ~15 or so others who have asked questions - would love to have this resolved as it seems to be an ideal tool for this specific job.

Thank you again, your continued engagement is really appreciated.