Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Registration Process and Changing Requirements

edited October 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have recently rented a domain name and set up Vanilla on a sub-domain. I think my domain was owned by someone else before because googlebot kept looking for non-existent pages. Anyways, recently, my forum started getting a ton of hits to be one week old.

So to keep the bots down on registering (BotStop gives a BONK message), I want to have the process set up so that once a user applies, they have to confirm their email address. Then once they do confirm their email address, I have to approve them. I have the method set to "Approval", the "Require users to confirm their email" box is checked and the "Email Confirmation Role" set to "Confirm Email". Is this good or do I need to change something?

As for requirements: I went through the registration process as a new visitor (I had different settings under the the "Registration" tab). When I had to choose a username, I got an error: "Username can only contain letters, numbers, underscores and must be between 3 and 20 characters long." Is it possible to change these restrictions?

Answers