HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

First thing I've learnt after playing with VF and then searching these forums for answers...

hydnhydn New
edited October 2012 in Feedback

VanillaForums' developers are trying to force users into using the hosted plans to benefit from what should be globally available features.

RackSpace hosting partnership = BAD idea, only time will show that. Hopefully before then you guys will stop trying to funnel your community toward extremely uncompetitive paid hosting.

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited October 2012

@hydn

what should be globally available features.

Says who?

Why on earth do you assume that people who may well have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on a project should then give it away for nothing?

They are generous enough as it is, giving away a truly outstanding framework for nothing.

They have also been kind enough to make it open source, so that if anyone out there wants to put in the same time, effort, and knowledge as the developers, they can create any plugin they want to.

Seems to me you are saying

"I don't have the skill set (or time, or inclination, or all three) to make the plugin I would like, so someone else who does should do all the work for me, and then give it to me for nothing."

Good luck with that.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited October 2012

Nonsense, nobody is forcing anyone to do anything.

You can use Garden/Vanilla for whatever you wish, and they have never objected to development.

This is programming framework, so naturally some level of competence is required. I think some people with no programming experience are expecting magic to happen, and for unlimited free help.They need to get real.

The hosted solution is not for everyone. However it is a managed solution. People pay hundreds of dollars for some managed solution every month.

If you think you can do better find you host an hire you management if required.

Back in the real word OS is funded, it does not grow on thin air. Many so called business geniuses will post their opinion, but unless they are doing it, there really can't talk.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    hydnhydn New
    edited October 2012

Then simply charge a onetime fee to have full features on self-hosted setup! Then, a yearly renewal fee if I want to be able to download new versions.

Eg. http://www.invisionpower.com/pricing/

I already own IPB's apps @ $300 so I really don't care about paying for the features badges, points with leaderboards, theme options, etc.

I already have AWS EC2, LiquidWeb fully managed & Rackspace Partner Program membership. So the last thing I need is a paid hosting plan!

nvr mind..

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@hydn

Why do you assume that anyone should follow the business model that suits you?

Just make the plugins yourself - can't be that hard, can it?

• Options
    hydnhydn New
    edited October 2012

fine. :) I'll hand off plugin dev to one of my Elance contractors. But the money I'll spend should be spent here instead... but anyways your are right sir, biz model is VF's choice.

cheers!

• Options

@hydn said:
    fine. :) I'll hand off plugin dev to one of my Elance contractors. But the money I'll spend should be spent here instead... but anyways your are right sir, biz model is VF's choice.

cheers!

great idea. please post the addons when they are developed, it has already been stated that there is no problem posting the plugin as open-source once you develop.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    edited October 2012

I used the free version for years and could still if I did not want pro support. My forum gets about 1/2 million page views a month. I don't ever worry about IT issues. Vanilla just takes care of it. I guess it is not cheap but what I now pay Vanilla is worth every penny.