Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Changed permissions on Vanilla files. Wondering how I can reverse that.

edited October 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all,

in the course of switching servers and subsequently not being able to access my forum (message: bonk - something we wrong....) I attempted to remedy the problem by changing the file permissions to 777 on my server.

In the meantime I've resolved the issue (I hadn't had a user associated with my mysql database - duh!) but am now left wondering how I can reverse my actions with regards to the file permissions.

Is there some way I can find out which file should have which permission so I can set them manually? Or would there be an easier way?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Options

yes you could reinstall the source from download.

and give proper permissions to conf and uploads and smarty as indicated in upgrade docs

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

thanks for the advice peregrine!

just to be sure, as long as I don't change the database my content should be preserved right? I don't want to lose the content of my forum.

thx!

• Options

always backup database just to be sure. and look over the config.php to see if the database points to the correct one.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.