Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

October 24th Hosted update

There was an update rolled out on Oct24th for Hosted forums.

If One was to download the free software and host it themselves would it be the pre Hosted roll out, because the changes made have made me HATE vanilla forums which I used to love and tell everyone to try.

Quick Quote seems to be broken
Clearning notifications is broken
The Social element of using BestOf on the forum is broken,
everything seems to be about taking people AWAY from the site using other socialmedia.

Comments

• Options
    KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited October 2012

First off, you have to keep in mind that Vanilla 2.1 is still in alpha and new features are being added quite often, bugs come and go and nothing is final and fully tested yet. This is a natural part of the software development cycle but none of this will matter when it comes to the final release, which will have been extensively tested and hopefully close to bug-free.

Secondly, if you don't like using pre-release software, don't do so. It's entirely up to you if you want to live on the edge or use a stable build instead. Just download 2.0.18.4 and you're good to go.

Lastly, please try to keep your general tone positive and constructive. Posts like these are of absolutely no use to anyone and tend to simply piss people off. What you could have said, instead of spewing out your rather hateful words, could be something like this:

Hi Vanilla community!

>

I've noticed that the update to Vanilla 2.1 from October 24th introduces some rather nasty bugs such a the quick quote function being broken and [other bugs here]. Are you, the core dev team, aware of these bugs? If not, here's some more detailed information:

[describe each bug you've encountered in detail]

I really [like/dislike] the idea of [these/some of these] new functions but they quite frankly appear to be broken as of now and are therefore not very usable. [Some more feedback on the new functionality perhaps]

Nice, constructive and useful feedback is the way to go.

// Kasper

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Options

Thank you @Kasperisager
    Sorry about the angry post, I did come here in anger and really shouldn't have.

My expectation of paying monthly has been that these bugs that greatly damage the reputation of a forum would not be rolled out to hosted sites without extensive testing.
    I will look into seeing if there is a way that when a new roll out hits, that it tested stable before it hits the site.
    I was not aware that on a paid for Vanilla forum you could be subject to anything else but stable builds.

I have downloaded v2.0.18.4 to see if it is worth while canceling my paid subscription with Vanilla and hosting it myself.

• Options
    edited October 2012

Thank you @Kasperisager Sorry about the angry post, I did come here in anger and really shouldn't have.

No worries, we all lose our head from time to time!

My expectation of paying monthly has been that these bugs that greatly damage the reputation of a forum would not be rolled out to hosted sites without extensive testing.
    I will look into seeing if there is a way that when a new roll out hits, that it tested stable before it hits the site. I was not aware that on a paid for Vanilla forum you could be subject to anything else but stable builds.

The hosted plans are always running on the latest production ready and stable code from Vanilla. You can find the codebase on Github, where the description is as follows:

The master branch of the vanillaforums repository will always contain our latest production (release) code. It should be the most stable source code you can download from us, but also the oldest. New code only gets into master when we release a new version or create a hotfix.

There is never a guarantee that the software will be entirely bug-free as this is next to impossible. The code has been tested before deployment though, otherwise it wouldn't end up in the master branch on Github.

I have downloaded v2.0.18.4 to see if it is worth while canceling my paid subscription with Vanilla and hosting it myself.

That's perfectly fine, but I have to tell you that you'll be missing out on a lot of great goodies of the hosted plan. A whole bunch of people would kill to get their hands on the "Badges" and "Reactions" plugins that comes with it :-)

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Options

@kasperisager: I think he is talking about the hosted version and not the open source 2.1 branch:
    http://vanillaforums.com/blog/news/fall-2012-release/

• Options

@HalfCat said:
    kasperisager: I think he is talking about the hosted version and not the open source 2.1 branch:
    http://vanillaforums.com/blog/news/fall-2012-release/

He is yes, but the codebase is the same. I'm having the same bugs he mentioned as of 2.1a27.

• Options

@kasperisager said:

He is yes, but the codebase is the same. I'm having the same bugs he mentioned as of 2.1a27.

All right, I didn't know that and I personally have no experience in how the versioning of the hosted version works. I would've thought that he has no choice but going with the upgrade.

• Options

@HalfCat said:
    All right, I didn't know that and I personally have no experience in how the versioning of the hosted version works. I would've thought that he has no choice but going with the upgrade.

I think you're right about that - there's no choice between which version of Vanilla you want to use on the hosted plan - I wasn't aware that he was talking about the hosted plan when writing my initial post though.

• Options

Thank you @HalfCat
    and @Kesperisager so you're seeing the same issues with 2.1a27, but they didn't exist on 2.0.18.4 correct?

Also ya the badges are pretty exciting, and people do enjoy them, few issues with them and mobile which is become as popular as desktop viewing but that's another conversation entirely.

It looks like I'm caught by the short and curly's deal with the broken and now less userfriendly forum to keep the badge system, or lose the badge system and go back to the previous user friendly easy to understand, none broken look.

no choices in life can be ease eh, well except for maybe "would you like another beer?" that's always easy

• Options
    edited October 2012

Glad we could be of help, that's what we're here for :-) I haven't had any problems with 2.0.18.4 other than the ones I've caused myself - I would never go back to using it though, as 2.1 is so much better and more inviting to use.

Also ya the badges are pretty exciting, and people do enjoy them, few issues with them and mobile which is become as popular as desktop viewing but that's another conversation entirely.

>

It looks like I'm caught by the short and curly's deal with the broken and now less userfriendly forum to keep the badge system, or lose the badge system and go back to the previous user friendly easy to understand, none broken look.

If I had to make the choice, I'd stick with the hosted plan - Vanilla 2.1 has so much more to offer than 2.0.18.4 and the bugs are only temporary - the new update does indeed introduce quite a bunch of new stuff so it's perfectly understandable why there are still a few kinks here and there. The dev team is very dedicated to their software though, so they should have them ironed out in no time!

no choices in life can be ease eh, well except for maybe "would you like another beer?" that's always easy

Hehe, wise words ;-)

• Options

@StephenBB81 can I recommend that you also post on the Vanillaforums.com hosted forums? Because here we can only confirm the problems on the hosted solution (same codebase, as Kasperisager says).
    If they know if on the Vanillaforums.com forums, it might be something simple to solve.
    If you don't use your angy-ness (as you did in your opening post), it will be all-right.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

this forum is not for the hosted solution, the question should be asked at vanillaforums.com

grep is your friend.

• Options

In this instance I do agree, the stable version should be available, even if it has less features.

I understand they want to drive it forward by being bleeding edge, but there are some pitfalls to that approach.

It is fair to say that the hosted solution is not like the OS version anyway. it is not distributed so they can do what they like, and ultimately it is their choice.

Most of the complaints about aren't founded in real experience of running a project like this, however I do think it s a fair comment to be on the stable branch. That is all I would give.

However they are moving if forward becuase the want to reinforce their hosted solution to the benefit of users.

grep is your friend.