Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Where can I edit a Discussion page?

edited October 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm trying to remove some things from discussion/topic view, but I can't figure out which template to edit. Is this located in applications/dashboard/views somewhere..?

Comments

• Options
    KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

The files you're looking for can be found in applications/vanilla/views/discussions.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Options

Thank you, kind sir!

• Options
    edited October 2012

Hrm, actually I still can't find it.. ><

Allow me to explain exactly what I'm trying to achieve..

Goal: I want to increase the width of the content area for single topics only. Mind you, I'm not talking about the forum.com/discussions list, but actual topics you can reply to.

Problem: The width is controlled by a CSS class called 'content'. Editing this class is easy enough, BUT, that will also change the width of every other page on the forum.

So solve this, I created a clone of that class named 'content2' just for discussion/topic pages, but I just can't figure out which template to apply it to..

I use sidepanels for the main page, but I've disabled them for single discussions so I can make the post area larger instead.

Sorry if I'm being unclear, I'm terrible at explaining things. :p

• Options
    KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

Just use the classes applied to the body element to do page specific styling - that's ten times easier.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Options

Hum, could you elaborate a bit more? Maybe I should mention that I'm pretty clueless :D

• Options

@Fluffycakes said:
    Hum, could you elaborate a bit more? Maybe I should mention that I'm pretty clueless :D

try reading the theme documentation and run through some tutorials on firebug or some other web tool

also this.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20231/how-to-become-somewhat-adept-at-modifying-vanilla-to-meet-your-needs-for-free

you probably want to modify the width of ul.Comments in Custom.css of your theme.

ul.Comments {
        width: 700px;
    }

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited October 2012

You can declare a css rule for a specific type of page by prefixing a . and the page type name

e.g.

.discussion
    .discussions
    .messages

etc.

• Options

Thank you both! /bow

I should really learn to code one of these days