Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Execute PHP Script upon User Registration

Hey all!

I was wondering if someone could make me a plugin that can Execute a PHP script when a user Registers on my forum. If not, could you please point me in the right direction for how to program a plugin that can do this.

Thanks

Outlaw11A

Comments

• Options

I recommend to you to read the documentation: http://vanillaforums.org/docs/pluginquickstart

Also, I would look for a plugin that already modifies the registration process just to get an understanding of how to hook up in there.

• Options

I have had a look at the documentation, it seems a little vague. Also would there be a file in the actual forums source that would contain the code that I could hook into?

Also do you the know location of where the code is that enters the user's password, username etc. into the MySQL database, I think I could place the script in with that and it may work.

Thanks for your help.

• Options

@HalfCat said:

Also, I would look for a plugin that already modifies the registration process just to get an understanding of how to hook up in there.

Would this be a plugin that would allow you to login with Facebook etc.?

• Options

look at the botstop plugin and throw your code in there.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Thanks for that. I shall look into it. If there is anything else that might help me, please tell me.

• Options

yes read all of the documentation and the wiki. take a look here

it's also an add on with some of the mods to show you how to do a simple plugin. It's not instantaneous, its a learning process.
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/162481/#Comment_162481

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Thanks for that. I know that coding plugins takes time and is not something you can do overnight. I was asking for someone to point me in the right direction - which you have done! Thanks!

There's a wiki? Hahaha. I find the documentation a bit vague and brief.

• Options

take a look at the first discussion topic which has this link...

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/

Insightful maybe.

if you decide you want to sponsor (pay), maybe I can write a plugin doing what you want. you can pm if you want to sponsor it. Otherwise, just ask questions here, as you work through it and we will try to help direct you for free. :).

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@Outlaw11A If you don't have the time or knowledge to code a plugin, you can always hire one of the many developers available on the forum. This is what I normally do with other frameworks: it may cost me a hundred bucks or more, but I get things done quickly, rather than spending hours and hours in trying to do it myself and, ultimately, wasting several days of revenue on it.

Note: to anyone who reads "hundred bucks or more" and thinks it's expensive, keep in mind that hiring any Developer worth his salt won't be cheap, but it will save you money in the long run (not to mention the headaches).

• Options

This all seems a bit much for me, I'm only doing it as a little project, and don't plan on making revenue on it.

Could someone please tell me the Event I would have to hook into for it to work, and how to write it? After that I think I should be right.

• Options

once again, read the threads that deal with this plugin...

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/botstop-plugin

and take a look at...

/var/www/vanilla/applications/dashboard/controllers/entrycontroller.php

and look here for all the the files that begin with register in the following directory...

/var/www/vanilla/applications/dashboard/views/entry

• Options
    AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited January 2015