HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Suggestion for "Best Of"

I've looked at the best of feature here and on some other sites and for the most part I really like it. My only suggestion is that each block should just be a preview of the featured post, not the entire post. The best of pages end up being quite a mess when they are full of long posts, nested quotes, etc. The preview should just show x words then "read more", exclude quotes etc. I'm not sure what the best solution would be but its pretty messy as it is.

BTW is best of going to be a hosted plan feature only?

Comments

• It is part of the "reactions" plugin and thus only available in the hosted version.

• Personally, I like the whole thing posted. probably one of the few people. saves clicking.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited December 2012

@DirtyDog: I'm with you on this. It would be much easier to work the template of "Best of..." if it is possible to adjust the length for this teaser.

Have there been any appeals by the community to create some kind of "best of..." for self hosters yet? I know it's based on reactions, but again we are left behind here, so we'd probably develop our own simplified version. Maybe based on "Likes" or just by post or view count (different options of course would help such a plugin). I'm no developer as some of you know. How about we sponsor a plugin like this together?

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • @phreak after looking at best of on a few sites I think the only real problem is the display of nested quotes. ALthough having the length of each item configurable would make sense too.

Regarding making a plugin maybe just a best of page for bookmarked items. I had planned on changing "bookmarks" to "favorites" and doing content rating based on that.