HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Install Wizard Errors not clear

AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Feedback

On running the install wizard, we get this error:

This location is not writable: /home/website/html/plugins/SphinxSearch/install/output.txt
Must CHMOD 777 this directory

bash: CHMOD: command not found

Should give a better error.

1. The command chmod is lowercase on case sensitive systems.
  2. The location listed is the output.txt file, rather than the directory one should chmod.

Actually, it looks like both the directory and all files already in it need to be chmod 777.

Comments

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭

alright, I'll change that

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2012

Personally I don't think you should be telling people to chmod anything 0777.

People only do that becuase the don't know how to assign roles and users, and don't understand the significance of permissions.

Very rarely is there a need for 0777.

If you want to problematically get the process user for thier information

$ProcessUser = function_exists('posix_getpwuid') ? posix_getpwuid(posix_geteuid()) : get_current_user();
    echo $ProcessUser['name'];

grep is your friend.

• Still a good job with this project.

grep is your friend.

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012

So you are saying to give the web user write permissions only? I just take the lazy, "catch-all" approach.

• You shouldn't assume it can. That is the webmaster's job. You can give them hints though.

Actually try to change the permission with php can result in lower permission than you currently have. You can create right mess.

grep is your friend.

• @x00 said:
    Still a good job with this project.

Indeed, very good job.

• Yes, x00 is right. 0777 is not a good idea, it is much better to take a minimal approach to permissions for security reasons.