Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla 2.1 not saving in the Session table/ setting the Session cookie [Secury Attack]

Hello,
I was trying to implement an SSO , but using vanilla as the login provider. I'm, using the 2.1a33
I was trying to intercept the VanillaSession cookie and checking against the database, but now , for no reason Vanilla stopped to produce this cookie, and is not populating the database anymore.

By debugging looks like Vanilla is using this Vanilla cookie, that have 5 things thereto separated by |

($HashKey, $CookieHash, $Time, $UserID, $Expiration)

As the Hashkey and CookieHash is not stored anywhere, and they have public algorithms, I can craft a cookie and impersonate any user by just setting the userid and hashing it.

I really don't know what make my vanilla installation stop using the Session table and VanillaSession cookie, but just to make a warning that this behavior can be very insecure.

Comments

• Options

Forgot about it, I didn't realized that this hash is salted.

• Options

Well naturally, there is more to that still.

If you have concern like this the for it is on github.

grep is your friend.