Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How can I disable login and use logged in user's Windows id for authentication?

Can some one give me a basic flow of which modules I should modify to make Vanilla disable login and registration request altogether, and use Windows user name for login with a basic profile created when user logs in for the first time? :-)

Comments

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

I'm not a Windows Sysadmin anymore, but I'm afraid that what you ask cannot be achieved easily (if at all).

To access a website, you need a browser, and such browser doesn't necessarily pass Windows User details to anyone (that would be a huge security gap). I know that there is a way, with ASP.NET, to use Windows Authentication, but it requires a domain, ASP.NET, IIS and so on. It's tightly coupled with how Windows Domains work, and I'm not sure it can be ported outside them.

• Options

Hmm. My forum is gonna run inside an intranet. All I wanna do is use windows logon for SSO. Or, another option I have is to completely remove the need to login. Are of these feasible @businessdad?

• Options

I think it could be doable, but I would need to investigate a bit more. I'm sure it will need a custom plugin, though, as nothing of sort exists in Vanilla, at the moment.

• Options

Thanks :-) I think I should look into plugin development :-)

• Options
    edited November 2012

It's definitely worth learning it, if you have development skills and if you plan to use Vanilla for your projects.

By the way, I would be curious to try and see if I could make it work, but I would have to install a DC and related client for it. It may take quite a while...