Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Categories as filters

One feature I really like about Vanilla 2 is that with the category list on the same page as the discussions list, categories work as filters.
However, the effect breaks if you make sub-categories, because I would expect that when I click on a root category that it also lists the contents of its sub-categories, whereas it doesn't.

In the dashboard there's the option "Display root categories as headings.", I wonder if it would be a cool feature to add "Root categories include sub-categories" (with better wording), unless this is already a feature and I missed it?

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

This is a config setting in 2.1. It's called Vanilla.ExpandCategories. I will say though, we implemented this on several large sites and all of them came back to us asking to have it turned off. It tends to confuse users. Also, it makes it so indexes aren't taken advantage of as well as just viewing a single category.

Answers

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

I don't think this feature is present in Vanilla Core, and I doubt it will be added. However, you could code a custom plugin that implements it.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

This is a config setting in 2.1. It's called Vanilla.ExpandCategories. I will say though, we implemented this on several large sites and all of them came back to us asking to have it turned off. It tends to confuse users. Also, it makes it so indexes aren't taken advantage of as well as just viewing a single category.

• Really looking forward to Vanilla 2.1 for this feature. I've had several users wonder why it doesn't already work like that