Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

3rd party web design programs?

I'm just curious if there are any programs that can developed vanilla themes or pages
I only ask because I'm not very skilled in html5 or CSS language and trying to add something simple like a background banner is difficult
Though I'm sure the program would be just as difficult, I'm more capable at seeing what is changing than just guessing on what the specific line of code does.

Comments

• Options

I'm going to assume that WordPress is what I should use?

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@fubarp: Mmh, i'm sorry to say. But i guess there is no way around CSS and HTML if you want to customize Vanilla. Just a baker makes real bread if you don't know the ingredients the only way is buy it and crisp it up in the oven.

Ok here is a little start. If you want to change the background-image in the header you could drop an image into the ~themes/default/design/ folder of Vanilla (usually in the root of your server) called background.png or .jpg.

In the same folder is a file called style.css, open it with a editor and search for the expression #Head {...} and fill it with the CSS in the brackets below >

#Head {background: #000 url(background.png) top center repeat-x;}

If you want to do more, check a CSS Tutorial-Site and you will see, you can progress fast. It's easy. You just have to learn some basic expressions and you will see results.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options

All of those solutions really create more problems than they solve. They create a mess, becuase they can never truly know what you want. There are often unforeseen consequences that further complicate development.

Believe me I'm have to pick up the pieces from clients. it is almost always better to do it properly.

Htmldog has very good books if you wan to learn. You don't have to learn everything about web software but learning Html and css, will certainly help.

To add to @phreak's tutorial. it is better to add the custom.css rather than style.css unless you are doing very complex stuff. if there is no custom.css add the file.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Idk if it matters but I use bootleg theme
    And I honestly don't know which file I'm suppose to edit if I can even edit lol. Because I also want to change the color of the text because gray is annoying.
    But thanks for some of the advice. When I get home I'll attempt again at figuring out what I'm doing.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited December 2012

@x00: Uh yes, sorry i combined these 2 CSS files into one alongside other changes to gain in page speed. ;) Thanx

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited December 2012

@fubarp

If you want to have a play with basic theming in Vanilla, I made this theme: https://vanillaforums.org/addon/annotated_css-theme precisely to help people new to css to learn a bit about how to change common things in Vanilla.

Each css rule used has a note explaining what it changes in Vanilla.

I didn't know much css when I started using Vanilla, but it isn't really difficult once you get going.

If you want to use it, just unpack it and place it in your themes folder, then edit the custom.css file in the design folder to your heart's content.