Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Badges and Reactions - what would you want?

Comments

• Options

I will in the future create a Karma accolades system, so it does not make much sense to tie a separate rules bases system into rewarding karma, when karma is already a rules based system.

I also think businessdad's funding model means he probably wants his own system, which is fair enough.

I won't be working on anything like this for some time.

If you want something to get of the ground you got to focus on one thing at a time, I think businessdad is offering to make a badge system don't blow it before he looses interest in making the core foundation of this product.

People are talking about badges, being linked to roles. This really a developer decision, and I agree badges are different from roles.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    GaryFunkGaryFunk Senior Application Developer ✭✭

@mcu_hq I don't have an existing system.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@422 nice ! what does the fish stand for ?

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Question and Answer badge lol .. slightly oblique logic ;)

• Options
    AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited January 2013

@businessdad said:
    I believe that badges, roles, scores and ranks should be handled as separate entities. They are related, but not so strictly. Also, I would discourage the automatic assignment of roles of any importance, such a system would be too prone to abuse.

I agree that the ultimate badge system should have separate entities.

However, automatic role assignment already takes place using the marketplace plugin, whereby users can purchase roles. My idea, outlined above, is a simple code saving approach whereby all the components, except the code specific rules to grant roles upon X-event already exist. Adding this to the karma/marketplace plugin is not a lot of work, for someone who is ready to do it quickly.

On the other hand, having a separate complete badge system has its own advantages.

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

A marketplace where somebody purchases roles is very different from one where User's actions can result in a role being assigned. In first case, excluding bugs and vulnerabilities, a User must purchase every role he wants to acquire. This means that the only way he can get them is by "going the right way".

If a role is assigned, instead, after a User gets 1000 thanks, or 1000 accepted answers, it would be fairly easy to create bots to help achieving such result. With a bit more effort, bots could be disguised well enough and a malicious User could be granted a role that he doesn't deserve. Then he would just need good timing and he could do some damage. If we would add some human error (wrong role selected, such as Admin, wrong events configured) and we would have a very vulnerable system in place.

• Options
    AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited January 2013

How do you propose to assign badges, if not by automated methods?

• Options

I was writing about roles, not badges, which can be assigned by automatic rules, or manually, depending on the configuration. A badge obtained by cheating is not a big deal, a "forum moderator" role, instead, is.

• Options
    aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

• Options

@aery said:
    Guys, you should look at this - http://vanillaforums.com/blog/news/using-vanilla-ranks/

We have looked. What is your point?

• Options
    aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

GaryFunk

@GaryFunk said:

We have looked. What is your point?

Point being improving collective knowledge about badges/reactions/roles

• Options
    edited January 2013

I would like to see a "Nag" badge or a "Grumpy" badge, you can bestow it onto people who have negative attitudes or constantly nag about something ......

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2013

@422 said:
    Question and Answer badge lol .. slightly oblique logic ;)

@422

along those lines.

• Do you mean a badge for questionable answers? or unanswerable questions?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Do you mean a badge for questionable answers? or unanswerable questions?

Both, I think, that's why they use a fish lol as in go fish maybe ? Or "fish" the symbol of the most questionable event, and the most unanswerable .....Or just "Went Fishing" ?

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Lol a fish for a variety of reasons.

Like a fish out of water.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP
    edited January 2013

We have finished our Badges code for our site, all hooked into db and award notifications system done. So thought I would share a screenshot.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

All Badges

• Options

Very nice.

• Options

@422 Well done! My badge icons are not even remotely as nice as those ones! Well, I will focus on the main engine, instead. After all, as I always say, designer != developer. :D