Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

User search in search results

Does anyone know how to integrate the user search that is already exist in the:
Start a New Conversation nuder Recipients?

So once you insert a letter, all users starting with that letter will be shown in a drop menu.

Answers

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Integrate it into where?

What would you want to do with it?

• Options

Hi @whu606, integrate it into the vanilla global search.

Current search covers only posts and categories.
    What I want is to search for posts, categories and users.

• Options

@ahmedaladdin

Hmm.

Sorry, that's a bit beyond me!

Maybe someone else will offer some pointers.

I think it would be much simpler if you were prepared to have the user search separate, next to or underneath the main search box, as then you could just include the relevant part of the 'Conversation' form (perhaps through a module.)

What do you see as the benefits of having such a search available?

• Options

No benefits!

• Options

In which case, I can't see the point...

• Options

If i have a community and coversation tools, then i can see there is a need for such an option to be available in the search which already exist in recipients

• Options

Why not to promote the site to be something like twitter where every user can search for his friends in the community!

I believe vanilla become the best in building communities with little efforts from a developer and good ideas from a site owner.

• Options
    edited December 2012

@ahmedaladdin

First off, most developers prefer to get paid, even for their 'little effort'.

Secondly, there are a couple of plugins that deal with user lists - check out the addons section.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/memberslistenh-plugin

might be what you are asking for.

Since you can't point to an obvious benefit of integrating the user list into a search, I strongly suspect you would have to pay a developer to do this for you.

• Options

You are absolutely right, and I agree to pay. However, there're some developers not familiar with vanilla!! So, to accelerate their work I do ask questions and try to help them as much as I can :)

I am currently using that plugin #memberslistenh and modified a little bit in the CSS file and become as I want. It works great, but the user search ability will make a big difference for me.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

you could use sphinx search and modify the indexing rules a bit to include users and their profile pages. but i think that would be confusing and ill placed to be part of the global search. better to just implement a simple javascript based table search on the memberslist page