HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Post Count and Search Engine "Content Keywords"

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited January 2013 in Feedback

Hi everbody,

For longer time now i follow the Google Webmaster Tools and my Vanilla Board. And since i installed "Post Count" i wasn't very happy with the effect it had on my "Content Keywords" that Google tries to identifiy my site with. Please see the attached picture and you will see that the word "Posts" does rank as the most common used word in my forum.

Well of course because the moment you activate "Post Count" in all your comments the word "Posts: X" appear. My comunity for example is about pregnancy, having babies and the best way to make the them, so "Posts" as a that relevant word is not really needed. From a SEO perspective you want to avoid that actually as those words do (of approximately 2009 rule sets for Googles Ranking) identify your website with the content it holds.

So to strip down the word "Posts" i'm thinking about to set a background-picture here or leave it totally out, so othe rmore content related words do get more weight for Google.

So i'd like to know how you deal with that, it's not only "Posts" also other words like "Activity" for the activity wall range high.

Greetz

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
Tagged:

Comments

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited January 2013

By the way how i did it: Entered the Plugins file "class.postcount.plugin.php".

Changed line 92 from:

echo '<span>'.T(Plural(number_format($Posts),'Posts: %s','Posts: %s')).'</span>';

to

echo '<span>'.T(Plural(number_format($Posts),'%s','%s')).'</span>';

This could do a beautiful Job based on CSS3, without images.

.MessageList .Meta .CommentInfo span {
        background: #2C79A7;
        padding: 2px 5px;
        border-radius: 3px;
        position: relative; top: 2px;
        color: #FFF;
    }

.MessageList .Meta .CommentInfo span:after {
        content:"";
        position:absolute;
        top:-10px;
        left:6px;
        border:6px solid transparent;
        border-bottom-color:#2C79A7;
        /* reduce the damage in FF3.0 */
        display:block; 
        width:0;
    }

Picture attached. "Tapp, tapp" waiting for Google to say something. ;)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla