Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Installed 2.1, but posts are nowhere to be found?

ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Decided to check out 2.1 and installed it a few mins ago, but for some reason only users carried over and not posts or topics. I used the same database.

Any clues?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options

You aren't going to be able to upgrade from an earlier version of Vanilla by simply pointing the new files at the old DB. Nice try though :D

• Options

I entered my database details on the vanilla 2.1 setup page, why wouldn't that work? :(

/clueless fool

• Options

Lincoln stated:

Upgrading: If you do decide to try out some flavor of 2.1, please take extra care upgrading. Proper backups are key. I recommend deleting /themes/mobile and /applications/dashboard/views/default.master.php before copying over your new files. If you don't run utility/update, your site is going to be broken.

Did you run the update utility?

• Options

It says "The update was successful", but I still see no posts or categories. Only users and avatars.

• Options

So basically the forum says "no discussions found", but all users and postcounts are intact. Any tips on this?

• Options

First : Look in the Database / Discussions and Comments tables whether your content is still there.

Then turn on the Debug plugin and see which SQL queries are executed.
    Last, see with the SQL queries whether there's some kind of crazy filter that stops your content from showing.

Did you 'upgrade' locally or on a server? Url?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

They appear to be empty, aside from the test posts I made.. :/

That's strange considering postcounts and users carried over.. hum..

• Options

Post counts is a different table than discussions and comments.

Suggestion : Restore only discussions and comments tables from your backup and then run the /update function. Let's see if you get all your contents back.
    Make a backup before you restore discussions and comments.

Alternative is restore entire DB en re-try the upgrade (let's see what my fellow forum users suggest though)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

There is no GDN_Discussions, but there'a GDN_Discussion. Am I supposed to have both, or is it the same one?

EDIT:

Fair enough. My own backups are too old unfortunately, but my hosts should have some newer ones available.

• Options

Oh well! Reverted back to normal via backups. Guess I should wait for an official 2.1 porter.