Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

how to disable FileUpload and shared server issue

I installed plugin FileUpload - and got the BONK screen. I think the error is that I can't use APC (php cache on the server) since I'm on a shared server.
Question #1: in PLUGINS I'm trying to Disable it - and it's not disabling! How to disable this? Should I just remove the files from the server (I'm concerned it might have written something to other files and this is a clumsy way to back out of it).
and #2 - without having APC, what is the way to have file upload so users can insert images in posts?

thank you

Comments

• Options

also when I click MEDIA in the dashboard - another BONK error - how do I just get rid of this - I suspect it is from the plugin

• Options

can anyone tell me what puts MEDIA in the dashboard and why that would give an error - any debug on this?

• Options

Update - I still need help on how to allow users to upload photos in posts without having the Alternative PHP cache on the server - but in case anyone else wonders about the above questions, I removed references to PLupload and FileUpload on the config.php file, and manually deleted both from the server - so the MEDIA button is gone from dashboard, and the PLugin I couldn't delete (fileupload) is gone from the plugin list.

I'm a newbie to Vanilla but not to WPress or Joomla - there must be some simple way for users to upload photos...?

• Options

you don't need alternative cache, you need to search the forums on what to do when there is a bonk error. It has been asked a lot.

Most likely you need to set your folder permissions.

grep is your friend.

• Options

are you saying that FileUpload does not required Alternative Cache? In its README it says this: FileUpload README
    INSTALL PECL APC (Alternative PHP Cache)

• Options

yes

grep is your friend.