Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Is search box working?

Hello. I have just installed vaniila forum for testing and noticed that search box on top side doesn't work. Is this a bug or another way to sue it?
I tried to searched that topic on community but no replied I saw.
Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

on this forum or yours

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited February 2013

If you'd like to "sue" it, I'd recommend contacting a lawyer - giggle - all jokes aside; is your installation live so one might be able to take a closer look at what's wrong? If it isn't live, might you be able to describe what happens when you enter a search term and trying searching - does Vanilla throw back any error messages or the likes?

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Options

No it is not here. Just I have installed a test forum here: http://zahek.net/vanilla/
    When try to search anything no any result. Here is a result: http://zahek.net/vanilla/search?Search=sample

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Vanilla i think runs search on a cron ( not 100% ) sure.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited February 2013

Like @422 pointed out, you'll just need to wait until your forums has a bunch of posts before Vanilla will actually start indexing stuff. You can search directly using "+ [term]" meaning that searching for "+ sample" (sample being a word used in one of your discussions) will yield results.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Options

OMG sorry for this. It is very easy. I think I just need to read more :) Thank you.

This "+" is just for content search? Becouse if I want to search user , doesn't gave result.
    Or do you know all search tips?

• Options

Mysql full text is not going to give you more than a rudimentary search engine with mysql fulltext. If you are happy with this fine, if not you could set up sphinx search.

@422 the fulltext indexes are integral, with the database, it is just with it relies on statistical calculations which require more data.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@x00 said:
    Mysql full text is not going to give you more than a rudimentary search engine with mysql fulltext. If you are happy with this fine, if not you could set up sphinx search.

+1, I was about to write that. :)

• Options
    GaryFunkGaryFunk Senior Application Developer ✭✭

@x00 said:
    you could set up sphinx search.

I'm convinced. I am going to install Sphinx on my server when I get home tonight.

• Options

Thank you for all information.

• Options

Thank you for all information.