Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

MeModule for vanilla 2.0.18.4

How can I implement the new notification/inbox/bookmarks/options bar in vanilla 2.0.18.4? I wish there was a dedicated plug-in for that.
also, any version of vanilla it is, how can I put that bar in a wordpress site where I'm embeding vanilla? I mean, outside vanilla theme and in the wp theme codes.

Answers

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

I can try to answer, based on my limited knowledge of Vanilla 2.1. The answers are a personal opinion, based on what I know, therefore don't take them as "absolute truths":

• To have the new toolbar in Vanilla 2.0, you would have to extract the code that generates it in 2.1 and insert it into 2.0. In short, you would have to code a plugin, or add it to your theme.
    • To have the above toolbar in WordPress code, obviously, you would have to code it in there as well. The difference from coding it in Vanilla and coding it in WP would be that, in latter case, you would have to "call" Vanilla to fetch information such as unread messages, incoming notifications and so on. This should be done via an API, which, as far as I know, is not available in the Open Source version. This would mean that coding a simple API would be needed as well.

I think the above should cover the worst case scenario, in which nothing is available and everything would have to be coded. If Vanilla 2.0 offers one or more of the above, then you are in an even better position. :)

• EdelAliEdelAli New
    edited March 2013

Thank you @businessdad, but I'm not theoretically newb only! I do even better there honestly, as compared with the same thing in practice. So, your great help means a lot to me -and sorry that it does little. Isn't it possible to make use of Vanilla WordPress widgets (already implementing the call to vanilla to fetch information), then?
    I wish I could request a MeModule WordPress Widget besides the existing two (Recent Discussions and User Activity) in the Vanilla WP dedicated plugin. I don't know who to ask...!! @Lincoln or @Todd? @x00? Sorry. (Now I don't mean Vanilla 2.0.18.4)