Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Problem with "starting a discussion."

Hi guys, major problem, suddenly when you click start a discussion on my forum you get a blank page. Have been having some issues lately posting a discussion, just sits there in limbo even though it's posted.

Would really appreciate some help.

Answers

• Options
    dtp56dtp56
    edited February 2013

Sorry and my forum is: http://petsitterbible.com/forum/

Thanks.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

check that your htaccess is configured properly that you installed the app properly. If you installed in the root make sure that you don't have other conflicting apps that have an index.php or htaccess file. if they do reinstall in a subdirectory.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

use firefox firebug, see activity > net > all

ALso check to see you dont have bad paths to some of your files, could be a issue.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

I think this is the problem, http://petsitterbible.com/forum/

you installed in /forum/ when it should have been /forum

what you did was install within a file and not a directory. so instead of the url to the file path for the page be forum/discussions it is just /forum/ .

reinstall using /forum as the path to the app.

• Options

Thanks but hmm this is exact address of forum so it's okay yes?

http://petsitterbible.com/forum/

• Options
    edited February 2013

No, it should be http://petsitterbible.com/forum

or

http://petsitterbible.com/forum/discussions

when you installed the file , for example using simple scripts, it asks for a directory. a directory has to be /something without the / at the end. If you put the / at the end it assumes it is in a file folder not a directory folder, so it will point to the root and then get lost.

just try what I say in a second installation . Or see about the htaccess issue I mentioned. But I am sure it has to do with how you installed something is not right.

• Options

Thanks okay will check it out and do you or anyone have any referrals for a coder who might be able to help me if I can't get it going? My forum plays a vital part to this venture so a little worried, thanks!

• Options
    edited February 2013

I signed in to experience the problem. I don't see the java for the the form are you using an editor like cleditor or just the default? check that permissions for a user/member to post a new discussion/comment are checked . I am not seeing the form at all it could be disabled..

• Options
    edited February 2013

what is this css file but it is not a css content ?

http://petsitterbible.com/forum/themes/screwjobs/design/custom.css

it is a 404 in a css file hmmm...it would seem that some files are not in the right place and are getting mixed up. I don't think php content should be in a css file.

• Options

Hi, thanks so much, yes got pretty sloppy while doing my first skin. I'm heading into doctor appt. but will investigate all these and really appreciate your help!

• Options
    edited February 2013

here is a screen of the contents of that css file for the post/discussion pageimage

• Options

Thanks I removed the /screwjobs/ css file and I'm looking at source code but not sure if there's something specific I should look for? Thanks.

• Options

can you install the cleditor plugin and enable it in the dashboard? and while you are in there, check to see what permissions you have set. Makes sure that members can post. you do have a ton of scripts plugins loaded and something might interfere .But at least that bad file is gone...

check your config file to see if :

$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['cleditor'] = TRUE;

or any other editor and see what happens.

• Options

Thanks, okay so had cleditor already there and code in config had read:

$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['cleditor'] = 'cleditor';

Changed it to what you said. When I checked roles and permission in dashboard the admin and members could post discussions and I was still classified as an admin etc.

• Options

PS: if I reinstall vanilla to the file structure you mentioned do I have to export and then import all my data, so the entire forum folder will be reinstalled basically? thanks...

• Options

lets start with the simpler things and if that fails then reinstall , that is last resort. I also see a problem with the theme. It has the wrong names for some things. The issue here is a problem script.

I still do not see the javascript for the cleditor being loaded. jquery.cleditor.min

Go in the dashboard and disable all the plugins except cleditor. If cleditor appears, then start enabling plugins one buy one until you can recreate the issue then leave that plugin off for repair if it can be fixed if not remove.

There seems to be a java script conflict.
    because the code to construct the form is missing or not being rendered.

• Options

Thanks will do and I received this this weekend from my web host, does this answer it?

Due to problems it was causing on the server, we were forced to disable the
    following script located in your account:

/usr/www/users/downt6sn/pet_sitter_bible/forum/./applications/vanilla/views/post/discussion.php

• Options

Maybe you should enable it again or tell the host to enable it. That is your answer. They disabled the script that loads the form. Or are blocking it. You do have a ton of scripts on there. The best thing is to disable stuff then enable until you find the culprit. Maybe you can look at the cgi error logs . Ask your host where they are so you can see the errors and find the culprit faster.

• Options

Problem solved it appears, my web host said too many emails were being sent out from forum for a shared hosting account and said I needed a virtual account...

• Options
    edited February 2013

Well that is nice of them, to render your site useless due to emails... and then they don't tell you, well glad it works now, does it ? bbl hope it gets sorted for you