Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

automatic assigning roles with comments count

Hi!

Is this possible with the vanilla forum to set roles?

0-50 comments -> Role 1
50-100 comments -> Role 2
100-150 comments -> Role 3
150-200 comments -> Role 4
200-... comments -> Role 5

Thanks,

rollrk4h

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

Short answer: not at the moment, as far as I know.
    Longer answer: it may be possible in the future, if and when the Rankings will be available for the OS version of Vanilla.

Personally, I don't recommend automatic assignments of roles that grant additional permissions, as it's prone to abuse (especially when simply posting comments would be enough to get the new role).

• Options
    SrggamerSrggamer HardCore Gamer ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013

@rollrk4h I have to admit I am fairly new to using Vanilla, but what I can say is I would do it manually look at peoples post count and Upgrade them to the new Rank, Go to User properties and add one there. But I think it would be possible, to have a plugin in to do it because you can buy ranks and upgrade why not with the post count?

You should try the Karma add on haven't explored it fully but might do you some good!

@422

• Options
    edited February 2013

@businessdad said:
    as it's prone to abuse (especially when simply posting comments would be enough to get the new role)

I agree, people would just post away, though you could set up a post limit but that shall limit your user, eagerness to go on and post but at least they wont spam.

It might be good but I agree how would you keep it safe from abusers.

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@Srggamer said:
    It might be good but I agree how would you keep it safe from abusers.

Human review. That's the only way I would ever accept to have it on a forum that I manage. A software may propose someone for promotion, but, if such promotion involves granting additional permissions, then I would want to be able to put a veto on it before it happens.

• Options
    edited February 2013

@businessdad said:
    Human review. That's the only way I would ever accept to have it on a forum that I manage. A software may propose someone for promotion.

Yes I would agree to it then a MODERATOR or ADMIN can approve of this. The yes that would be a much used plugin by the vanilla community.

But also I would check if those posts aren't abused, spam and more.

• Options

These are some good ideas guys!

• Options
    rollrk4hrollrk4h New
    edited February 2013

Thanks for yours comments & opinions.

But with the comments count,we dont wanna change the permission just the roles name.

For example:

0-50 comments -> Guest
    50-100 comments -> Rookie
    100-150 comments -> Member
    etc...

PS: Sorry for my terrible english. :)

• Options

@rollrk4h said:
    Thanks for yours comments & opinions.

But with the comments count,we dont wanna change the permission just the roles name.

For example:

0-50 comments -> Guest
    50-100 comments -> Rookie
    100-150 comments -> Member
    etc...

PS: Sorry for my terrible english. :)

Just so you know we were discussing the roles name, just do it manually to stop abuse just like @businessdad said.

• Options

sounds like you're making a vanilla badge :D

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

This is a really great discussion about promoting users. I for example would like to grant users access to certain categories, probably on the likes/thanx they received or the comments postet.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla