Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Moving discussion column to the left?

Apologies if this has been already asked; I haven't found a sufficient answer. I'm looking to move the discussion/comments/logged in bar to the left, rather than the right.

I did find http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21680/how-to-move-the-sidebar-from-the-right-to-the-left-like-vanillaforums-org and followed all those directions, but I'm not seeing the column move even though I have the custom.css file uploaded and changed.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You need to supply a link to the problem . For a sufficient answer. For a guess, I am guessing you mean the panel=discussion/comments/logged in bar , if that is the case put that into the custom.css of your theme:

#Panel{
    float:left!important;
    }

• The column that's traditionally on the right in Vanilla; "start a discussion" button, category management, etc; is what I want to move to the left. I'm not sure if it's called the Panel, but that would make sense. It's on the left here, on vanillaforums.org/discussion/

I created a plaintext file called custom.css and it's in the design folder of my custom theme, but adding the lines you suggested aren't having an effect on my forums.

Thanks for the assistance, I appreciate it!

you need to add that line into "the" custom.css of your theme. Not another file you made and called custom.css unless that is the only custom.css you have.

I'm not sure if it's called the Panel

Yes it is called Panel, and it generally has a float right or float left in the theme css so either you must find where it is and change it, in other words find the part that says :

#Panel{
    }

or you must add it in if it does not exist in the custom theme css.....if you don't see immediate changes you may need to clear the cache or wait until your server caches up

• Yeah. I definitely only have the one custom.css file in the themes>my theme>design folder, and it has the lines you described. Not seeing any movement from the panel. Cleared cache + cookies, tried an incognito window, etc. No change. :/

Link me please for further assistance :)

• Link sent via PM. :)

You must change or add this line

#Content {
    float: right;
    width: 680px;
    margin: 0 0 40px;
    }

• And that's in... which file? custom_grey.css?

Am I changing the float: right; to say float: left;?

edited February 2013

in the custom.css , yea the grey , you want it to float right so the panel can float left.

the first code was for the Panel the second one is for the Content. If you move one you most move the other .

• Success! Thank you so much, vrijvlinder. I've been combing the Internet all day for a fix for this.

For anyone in the future, you'll need to make two edits to whichever .css file your theme is using, either custom.css or another one. The two edits correspond to the panel and the content, moving them to the left and right respectively.

For the panel:

Panel{

}

For the content:

Content {

float: right;
    width: 680px;
    margin: 0 0 40px;
    }

It is faster and more productive when supplying a link to the issue right? glad you solved it.