Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

French translation for Vanilla 1.0

edited May 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hello folks, I just upgraded my public forum to version pre-alpha 1.0 ;) , and all i can say is that Vanilla rocks solidly !! Now i don't see any french language add-on, so I am going to write it myself by simply repackaging the german files after I have made the translation and other changings. Wait..

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Thanks for the kudos :)
  • Options
    Ghotcom, use the english definitions.php as your basis as it's always most up-to-date (i.e. Mark added some new definitions a day or two ago). In the German-formal definitions you'll also find some of the common strings from extensions added to the end of the file.
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Okay, i will take care of that. Thanks By the way, what CLI or GUI text editor do you suggest me to accomplish this task ? ( I am using Gentoo Linux ) Vim or programs alike that support highlighted tags ?
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Bluefish
  • Options
    Emacs?

(ducks)
  • Options
    Thanks, I will start off with Bluefish. Bergamot: Emacs is ncurses-based ? Regarding the language related files, what is definitions.hist ?
  • Options
    Ghotcom: no, but I regard that as a feature :D
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Vi, Emacs, whatever, if you know how, you should be able to easily tie a highlighter to any of them if they have the option to do it. Personally, under *nix based systems with either gnome/kde/variant (XFCE Baby!) I preffer BlueFish, it's pretty nifty and probably as powerful as any other free windows or other editor.
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Bergamot: What do you mean ? I didn't grasp :-/ sorry

lech: well well

I have begun the translation process, i am moving switfly, maybe 1/3 of the definitions.php is done lol. Last minute i was working on these sentences : Configure how often you should be reminded to check for updates. Ping back to Lussumo for the latest updates for Vanilla.
    Roles & Permissions
    Add, edit, and organize roles and permissions.
    Registration Settings
    Define how new members are handled: which role they are assigned to, do they require administrative approval, etc.

Verbs are in the infinitive or imperative form ?
    For example, in french, we would say "To add, edit, and organize roles and permissions" So I don't don't know whether i should take this as "Go edit" or describing action by "To edit" Any idea ?
  • Options
    The Updates and Reminders, Roles & Permissions and Registration Settings texts are headings, the text beneath describes what you can do in that area. In German it's written "here you can configure how often..." and "add, edit and organize roles and permissions here" etc.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Most of Vanilla's languages (at least the short defenitions) are of the imperative order, as some are used to join other phrases found throughout the language file. Since I don't read or write french let alone speak it, I would say just use your best judgement and try to do a word for word translation at first. Then flip through a copy of Vanilla you're testing it on to see how accurate things appear in your language. Then make your corrections and repeat edits as necessary.
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    I have definitely made use of the imperative mode and active form in general, as some phrases were too long to remain in the infinitive. By now i am progressing through the Terms of Use part, which will be the most difficult for me as I don't know much of the law-related language both in english and french. For that reason I thought the previous french add-on for Vanilla-0.9.2 would help, but I see it nowhere, what happened to it ?
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    I don't think there was a proper TOS until the most recent version. I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    Sorry I got it in my Vanilla-0.9.2 files backup, will check for it now
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    I came to another ambiguous word: "sink". What does it mean in context of "sink discussion" "sink label" or whatever ? Is it meant to replace the remove action while keeping with the technical background ?
  • Options
    "sink" prevents new comments from bumping a thread back to the top of the discussion list.
  • Options
    I see now. Thus it is more close to the root idea than I thought :) This is a new feature to Vanilla 1.0 , right ?
  • Options
    Yep.
  • Options
    I have completed translation of the definitions.php file, but one thing remains unchanged, the XML:lang attribute for the html tag. What should I enter for it ?
  • Options
    For french I believe it's xml:lang="fr"

see what w3c has to say about it.
This discussion has been closed.