Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

just an idea: Category Notification

remziremzi
edited March 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

i think that a category notification system would be very useful for vanilla forum users,
This means user can choose to be feeded about all the recent topics of a category (or some certain categories) that they chose.
For instance my forum contain lots of different category from gardening to cooking.
For example one of my user John, he is interested in gardening and want to share his experiences with others,through this addon, he can subscribe to the gardening category and even if he doesn't visit the forum, he can receive and notice the questions that he is capable to answer.
Since i have not code knowladge, i can not create it by myself, but if one of you - the developpers- make it, this will be very useful for the vanilla webmasters, and if you think to sell i will presumably buy it

Comments

• perhaps the rss reader is what you want?

e.g. the questions category.
    http://vanillaforums.org/categories/questions/feed.rss

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

Vanilla 2.1 already includes the possibility of getting notified when a new thread is posted in specific categories. To enable such feature, you must grant "Advanced Notifications" permission to your Users.

Vanilla 2.0 has only an "all or nothing" option, i.e. a User can choose to be notified of all new threads, or none.

I dealt with the Notification mechanism when I developed the Post Scheduler, and I think that implementing Vanilla 2.1 mechanism in 2.0 would not be easy, as some changes in Core would be needed.

• @peregrine i'll focus on this rss, thank you.
    @businessdad İs 2.1 avaliable now, if so, how can i get it ? thank you for these information.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@remzi Vanilla 2.1 is available, but it's still in Alpha/Beta stage. There are people who use it without any issue, but beware that it may contain bugs.

• ok, thank you