HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Have you ever experienced posting and other updates hang

spinning, but the update never works and you have to reload the pages or retry the upload , or retry the post.

I was wondering if inform and status messages that flash on the screen at the moment a json update causes a conflict resulting in a hang. Just a theory.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Comments

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

I did a couple of times, but I could not reproduce the issue to do some debugging. I posted a message on my forum, the animation started and it stalled. Post was created, but I had to go to the index page to see it. It happened with Vanilla 2.0.18.4, I haven't used 2.1 extensively, yet.

• Options

This could get really interesting for documenting how to dbug json requests

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

This could get really interesting for documenting how to dbug json requests

I suppose you could use logger plugin (because die() will put put you in a never-ending loop) or use the standard debug log that comes with vanilla.

a nice writeup for the wiki by a master of json debugging could come in handy.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

The posts are always created correctly, therefore I would exclude an issue there. So I guess the bug is either in the PHP code that returns a response to the calling JavaScript, or in the JavaScript itself, which fails to refresh the page.

Some logging would definitely help for the backend, but it has to be added in many places. If the issue is in the frontend, Firebug will have to do a significant amount of overtime, I'm afraid...

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

well - unrelated or not. if a auto-draft is saved at the same time, it seems to cause a post hang, at least what i've seen. But I'm thinking of the broader issue. Could be server is busy with database writes or connectivity times out. But I was wondering if the inform has any potential to foul up the works - you would think not if is asynch. But this is my weak area.

• Options

@businessdad said:
    Some logging would definitely help for the backend, but it has to be added in many places. If the issue is in the frontend, Firebug will have to do a significant amount of overtime, I'm afraid...

Oh man, that's something for Vanilla 2.1
    I've sent you s PM

There was an error rendering this rich post.