Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Seperate Category categories?

edited July 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
What I'd like to see is a way to seperate the Categories into sections...that way you can kinda classify which sections a certain category belongs to and when it's display there's a seperator between them with maybe even a title

:D

SkyBlueshoes

Comments

• Options
    I dont get it. You mean sub categories?
  • Options
    I mean something similar to vBulletin, to where you can seperate the different categories

Ex:

General Topics:
        Newbie Forum
        Living Room

Software Related:
        Bugs
        Feature Request

Hardware Related:
        Questions and Answers

etc, etc, etc....

Developer's Forum:
  • Options
    yeah, would prefer it too ;)
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited May 2006
    Well one of the main ideas behind Vanilla is to focus on the actual discussions, not where they belong, so I think the point of categories was to be more like tags and less like different places where topics can reside. Thus, trying to break away from this obsession with categorization so many forum systems had, I don't think such a feature was considered important enough to deem it necessary to have groups. I mean, if you stick with the discussions page as the front page anyway, why would it be important to let people know which categories fall under which groups?

If you want it though, Vanilla was made extensible for a reason, so there's nothing stopping from making the feature yourself.
  • Options
    While I agree with focus on discussion, some people just prefer categories first, and I'd love to see an extension that does this.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Discussions page and what y'all are trying to do about the 'norm' of forums. I think it's great, but sometimes if I wanna see all the comments relative to say 'Vanilla Themes/Extensions' I can go to a categories tab and list everything relevant to that topic, even a search won't find everything that could be in said category.

Here's an idea, allow comments to be meta tagged by users to allow easy searching, or meta'd by a predefined system that could catalog and recognize what kinda content that thread contained? I'm sure the genuises here at Vanilla could figure out something along those lines...not me

SkyBlueshoes
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    I've been working on a tagging extension for months, but I never seem to have the free time to finish it. I think it would solve most of the category-related complaints we've been having around here lately.
  • Options
    yes, that would be just the ticket...
  • Options
    That would be class Bergamot :)
  • Options
    Yes Bergamot! Please! That sounds fantastic and would solve this issue once and for all!
  • Options
    I'd love to see a tagging extension as well... three cheers to Bergamot to finish his tagging extension!
This discussion has been closed.