Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Using DIrect Link to Image Causes it to Not Show Up

When using the image icon on this plugin to enter the URL of an image, it shows up fine for about a minute and then disappears.
Before:

After:

Comments

• Options

This post here makes it sound like this could be an internal issue, rather than an issue with the linked image. It says, in summary, that renaming the access file to access.txt may solve this issue. I will try and retest and post back hopefully soon with any updates.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/missing-images-broken-images-direct-links-to-files-broken

• Options

*I meant .htaccess, not sure why I said just access.

But regardless that did not work.

I'll keep trying other things.

• Options

Been playing with the .htaccess file still, as everything I'm reading says that this may need to be altered:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c> RewriteEngine On # Certain hosts may require the following line. # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum) # RewriteBase / RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L] </IfModule>

Also read some posts talking about disabling the firewall that blocks these urls from coming through.

• Options

I've realized that this isn't a Vanilla Forums question - nor a Button Bar issue - but I want to finally resolve this so that I can stop wasting your space and time.

I think that maybe the issue is that the sites that the images are pulled from may have this Hotlinking Protection enabled in their .htaccess file, making it impossible for me to successfully display the photo:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$ RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http(s)?://(www\.)?samplewebsite.com [NC] RewriteRule \.(jpg|jpeg|png|gif)$ - [NC,F,L]

• Options

Well at least they aren't replacing the hotlinked photo with a giant schlong. I've seen that one before.

• Options

yup. yup. realized that this is something external to my control. That's really all I needed to know from the beginning.

No more stealing bandwidth I suppose...

• Options

yup. yup. realized that this is something external to my control. That's really all I needed to know from the beginning.

yes some sites won't let you embed their content within your site.
    with links, some links won't open unless they are in a new tab or window.

I suppose the same could be true for images.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21554

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.