Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Fine grain permissions

edited May 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi, I'm new to the Lussumo community. The company I currently work for had hired me to make heavy modifications to phpbb for their forums/news articles system, which was probably one of the most painful programming experiences of my life. Just imagine huge thousand line functions with if-statement indentation that takes up literally half your screen. *shudder* I wish they had hired me before their chose phpbb because I would definitely have voted against the decision and chosen Vanilla. Anyway, I was just wondering if there was a way to have finer-grain permissions for roles. I'd like to let the unauthenticated role be able to view and post comments on exisiting discussions in certain categories, and a member role that can view and post comments in all categories as well as post new discussions in certain categories. Is there a way to do this right now? If not, how difficult would this be to implement as an extension?

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    What you are asking for is anonymous posting, and Vanilla doesn't allow that. I'm sure you could write an extension to allow it. You'd need to add some columns to the discussion & comments table to hold the person's name/email. You'd have to use some delegates to add name/email inputs to the comments/discussion form. You'd probably be well advised to set up some cookies so the anonymous person doesn't have to keep entering his/her name & email.

This has been a long debated point of contention for me. I think that anonymous posting kind of ruins the magic of Vanilla because anonymous people don't get any of the benefits of the system like preferences or discussion tracking. I've said in the past that it can't be done, but I guess I was kind of lying. You can do pretty much anything with Vanilla, even anonymous posting.

It will require a bunch of work, but from the sounds of it - nowhere near the amount of work you've had to put into your older system.

The one thing I'd recommend is that you use Vanilla 1 (available by subversion) and not vanilla 0.9.2.x that's available at getvanilla.com.
This discussion has been closed.