HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

widespread "brute force" attack against WordPress

vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
edited April 2013 in General Banter

Do you have a WordPress account ? If so, I wanted to let you know about an attack on WordPress sites that started earlier this week, and what you can do to protect yourself.

On Tuesday, a widespread "brute force" attack against WordPress started impacting sites across the internet. This attack is leveraging a botnet, which looks to have more than one hundred thousand different computers at its disposal. Its intent is very simple: to find and compromise WordPress sites with simple passwords, likely to use them later to distribute malware (and further increase the size of the botnet).

Also, and can't stress this enough, I urge you to check your WordPress password and make sure it's a strong one. The strong password guidelines in our Knowledgebase refer to your WP account password, but that advice is good for WordPress passwords, too!

Be vigilant against a returning or altered attack. You could be next. Please keep all your passwords strong and change them often.

Comments

• Options
    SrggamerSrggamer HardCore Gamer ✭✭✭

@vrijvlinder said:
    Do you have a WordPress account ? If so, I wanted to let you know about an attack on WordPress sites that started earlier this week, and what you can do to protect yourself.

On Tuesday, a widespread "brute force" attack against WordPress started impacting sites across the internet. This attack is leveraging a botnet, which looks to have more than one hundred thousand different computers at its disposal. Its intent is very simple: to find and compromise WordPress sites with simple passwords, likely to use them later to distribute malware (and further increase the size of the botnet).

Also, and can't stress this enough, I urge you to check your WordPress password and make sure it's a strong one. The strong password guidelines in our Knowledgebase refer to your WP account password, but that advice is good for WordPress passwords, too!

Be vigilant against a returning or altered attack. You could be next. Please keep all your passwords strong and change them often.

Tried, works, happy with my blogs in command.