Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Follow/Unfollow not working correctly and creating bonk

I've got my forum in testing at the moment and a colleague tried to 'unfollow' some of the test categories assuming that this would then hide them from view. However, all it did was highlight them/change the background colour and left them visible. When he tried to follow them again, it generated this:

`Fatal Error in Gdn_Database.Query();

Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'Unfollow' at row 1

update GDN_UserCategory UserCategory set Unfollow = :Unfollow where UserID = :UserID and CategoryID = :CategoryID
The error occurred on or near: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VanillaHosted\library\database\class.database.php

275:
276: if (!is_object($PDOStatement)) {
277: trigger_error(ErrorMessage('PDO Statement failed to prepare', $this->ClassName, 'Query', $this->GetPDOErrorMessage($this->Connection()->errorInfo())), E_USER_ERROR);
278: } else if ($PDOStatement->execute($InputParameters) === FALSE) {
279: trigger_error(ErrorMessage($this->GetPDOErrorMessage($PDOStatement->errorInfo()), $this->ClassName, 'Query', $Sql), E_USER_ERROR);
280: }
281: } else {
282: $PDOStatement = $this->Connection()->query($Sql);
283: }
Need Help?

If you are a user of this website, you can report this message to a website administrator.

If you are an administrator of this website, you can get help at the Vanilla Community Forums.

Additional information for support personnel:

Application: Vanilla
Application Version: 2.0.18.4
PHP Version: 5.4.9
Operating System: WINNT
Server Software: Microsoft-IIS/7.5
Referer: http://supportal/vanillahosted/index.php?p=/categories/all
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.64 Safari/537.31
Request Uri: /vanillahosted/index.php?p=/vanilla/category/follow&categoryid=9&value=1&tkey=VKPQHZBAOK1P`

He is a standard user, but it seems to apply to standard users, moderators, admins and Forum admins. I've had a look through the community but can't see any definitive answers about follow/unfollow. One seemed to suggest that this was actually for RSS feeds and not as you would expect from the name - true?

Any guidance appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

This discussion isn't appearing in the list for some reason?

• Options

do you have mysql strict mode on?

what is your version vanilla?

grep is your friend.

• Options

Application: Vanilla Application Version: 2.0.18.4

I think MySQL is in strict mode (well the query returned STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION)

• Options

In addition, I have now noticed that if I click to 'show only followed categories' in the side panel, it literally makes no difference to the content.

All the categories remain but the text changes to 'Category Management > You are currently only viewing categories that you follow. > Show unfollowed categories'.

Surely I can't be the only one who has come across this as an issue?

• Options

there is some issue with strict mode with 2.0, I believe that is getting better.

in addition you need to upgrade to 2.0.18.8 for security reasons.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Thanks for the update notice.

Is there anything I can do about the follow not working? Or will the update (possibly) help? It just seems to be a total fail on the functionality, which I'm finding hard to believe I am unique in experiencing.

• Options

the update is a security fix unrelated, future versions will work with strict mode.

grep is your friend.

• Options

So if I turn off strict mode (assuming I can...) can I expect follow/unfollow to work then?

• Options

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues/1237

it is fixed in 2.1 which is still beta.

grep is your friend.