Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Help for someone new to upgrading Vanilla Forums.

2»

Comments

• Options

You guys make it sound so easy but I'm so nervous about messing it up again.

just backup database and keep copies of source directory on your local pc and you will be able to recover from a mishap pretty easily too.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@avantime4mike

What @peregrine said!

With a backup of your DB, and a copy of your current installation folder, you can mess up as hard as you want to, and still have a working forum to go back to.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

@avantime4mike

What @whu606 said I said only whu said it better.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Now you've given me fresh enthusiasm I'll have another go. I'll report back, thanks guys.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

I use a local, test forum to make all my trial and error changes.

If you don't have one, and are on Windows (or Apple), I would strongly recommend XAMPP:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-macosx.html

This will install everything you need to test your forum on your local PC.

• Options

I'll look at that too then, thank you.

• Options

@whu606 said:
    For those struggling with upgrades, I would suggest creating a new folder, uploading the version you want to upgrade to, and then using Vanilla porter to import your current DB.

First thing I did was create a new folder (forum) and filled it with the contents of vanilla-core-2-0-18-8 When I navigate to it I get the following error:-
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /homepages/34/d260127691/htdocs/forum/index.php on line 48
    So then I uploaded "porter" and when I navigate to that I get this error:-
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONST, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /homepages/34/d260127691/htdocs/vanilla2export.php on line 42
    I said you guys make it sound easy. What did I miss out?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2013

I have a plan to help you. I pmmed you. if you respond I can work with you provided you can block out an hour or two of uninterrupted time.