Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Made a small change to locale file and now the registration email has stopped working

mmooremmoore New
edited June 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi,

I'm running Vanilla 2. I'm a newb to Vanilla but have been using Linux/Unix for decades!

I made a small change to the dashboard en-CA locale file to just add a couple of lines to the EmailWelcomeRegister definition.

These emails were being sent fine before I made the change.

After the change, these emails are no longer being sent.

If I remove the change, the emails are still not being sent.

I can send a "password reset" email to the same user.

The lines I added are:

You will not be able to contribute to the forum discussions until an administrator
has approved your membership. We are normally quite quick about this, but it does
sometimes take us a day or so. Thanks for your patience.

I've changed the member role so that they have only view permissions and can't sign in.

The idea was that I could review new members and move them to a different role if I'm happy they are genuine.

There's nothing in the apache error logs. My maillog has nothing either, so Vanilla isn't even trying to send the email.

I've even tried rebooting the entire server (sigh... too many years of using Windows).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

From what I understand Locale files can't adversely affect anything else unless they have syntax errors which would cause a fatal error and you would know immediately .

It may be from some other change you might have made like roles and permissions. Check your config.php for the email settings, do you use smtp ? what port ? check all those, I doubt it has to do with the language $Definitions but who knows..

• Options
    mmooremmoore New
    edited June 2013

Thanks vrijvlinder,

I'm not using SMTP, just a local mail server. That configuration doesn't seem to have changed at all. Other emails (e.g. the password reset notification) are being sent fine.

• Options
    mmooremmoore New
    edited June 2013

null comment (edited previous posts to say "password reset" notification for better clarity)

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

ok , then if you could post the contents of the $Definitions you added ? if you really suspect this is the cause......use < pre > tags to post it so it comes out good.

So you know mail is going out, however the welcome email is what is not working?

I think you would be better off making a new role rather than altering the member role's role. Make a member confirm role which would be like the guest but for those who have confirmed but not posted.