Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla 2.0.x versus 2.1.x Question

Hey,

Thank you again to the creators of this wonderful forum software.

I have recently set up a community, and I have found that 2.0.x branch meets all of my needs.

My dilemma is, do I stay with 2.0.x and just try and ride that out for a few years, or does it make more sense to switch to 2.1.x branch when it comes out as a final release?

I have yet to install plugins, but as it may take a while for plugins to catch up to the 2.1.x branch I would hold off on installing them if I was going with it. If 2.0.x is going to remain useable for years to come or would it be smarter to just wait for 2.1 and plugins and then go that route?

Thanks for any guidance.

Comments

• Options

My dilemma is, do I stay with 2.0.x and just try and ride that out for a few years, or does it make more sense to switch to 2.1.x branch when it comes out as a final release?

I have recently set up a community, and I have found that 2.0.x branch meets all of my needs.

if 2.0.x it meets your needs, and you have security patches, it is not a dilemma, When it doesn't meet your needs or is no longer supported and you have a problem - then it is a dilemma.

this is one of those

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

nothing stopping you from creating a duplicate forum with 2.1 to see if better meets your needs.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

Stick with 2.0 for now. Implement your plugins. As soon as 2.1 goes 'final' install 2.1 on the side (local PC). see if your plugins work. If not, let us know (plugin name, Vanilla version, error message, other problems)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Thank you for the replies. I will develop my forum on 2.0 and when the time is right transition to 2.1.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@Blandest: I saw that @aery does already have 2.2 in productive use. Maybe he is willing to give you a short info on his experience with his version of Vanilla running.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla