Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product
Vanilla 2.6 is here! It includes security fixes and requires PHP 7.0. We have therefore ALSO released Vanilla 2.5.2 with security patches if you are still on PHP 5.6 to give you additional time to upgrade.

Changing order of validation rules on a form question. How do I?

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited July 2013 in Development

This is a question?? not an answer :)

let's says there is a form

input 1
input 2
input 3

you add an input 4  and a validation rule for input 4

if 4 is bad ....
 $Sender->Validation->AddValidationResult('input1',T('please enter input4'));
 $Sender->EventArguments['Valid'] = FALSE;

how do you get it to evaluate input1 2, and 3 rules first and then after that evaluate the rule you added in input4.

currently it seems to evaluate input4 before evaluating 1,2, or 3.

once 4 is correct if 1,2, or 3 display validation results.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

UnderDog

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited July 2013

I might not understand the question these are the rules for my contact plugin

$Validation = new Gdn_Validation();
                    $Validation->ApplyRule('YourName', 'Required', 'You must enter your name.');
                    $Validation->ApplyRule('YourEmail', 'Email', 'You must enter your e-mail (will not be published).');
                    $Validation->ApplyRule('Message', 'Required',"You must include a Message");
                                $Validation->ApplyRule('Checkbox', 'Required',"You must check the box");

You get a separate warning for each and also a combo depending on how many you missed filling out..

peregrine
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

I might not be presenting the question well. but you gave me the possible reason.

I mistakenly said input4 had a rule added when in fact it didn't, just a test of the form input and then this was applied, that explains it, it never got to the other rules.

$Sender->Validation->AddValidationResult('input1',T('please enter input4'));

so it looks like i may need to create some custom rules and apply them.

thanks, never occurred to me! doh!

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

vrijvlinder
  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited July 2013

Each one gets it's own error

$Sender->Form->SetValidationResults($Validation->Results());
                if($Sender->Form->ErrorCount() == 0){
                    $Name = $FormValues['YourName'];
                    $Subject = sprintf('Contact From %s %s', $Name, date('j M Y H:i'));
                    $Email->Subject($Subject);
                    $Email->To( C('Garden.Email.SupportAddress', ''));
                    $Email->From($FormValues['YourEmail']);
                    $Email->Message($FormValues['Message']);
                    $Option=GetIncomingValue('Form/Checkbox');

I would guess that without a rule it validates nothing ?

peregrineUnderDog
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

thx. we both edited messages.

like I said I tested data received from form and did my own checking without applying a rule, I still manually validated but.... Unfortunately my own checking caused my rule to be tested first. where as it would have been sequential if I created a custom rule and then applied it using the proper methods. Just tried to take a shortcut, which didn't work the way i wanted.

vrijvlinder