Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Where would I find the API for plugins?

QvintusQvintus New
edited July 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello Vanilla Developers

I my self would very much like to learn and eventually contribute to this community, I see great potential in this. However I've been trying to find some documentation on this and failed horribly. Reading through "Documentation" I've stumbled upon these so called 'Plugin guides' and yes they explain very well the basics... But how am I supposed to figure out what these ObjectName_EventName_*. One way I guess will be trying to reverse engineer some of the existing plugins, however they must have gotten the info some how them selves ?. Do I truly need find this somewhere hidden within the Forum files them selves?

Please if someone can link me somewhere the API is truly documented I'd love to get hold of this knowledge. I take great passion in scripting and programming, never have I stumbled upon this before since I've always had an API documentation where I could seek information.

Please share!

Best Answer

Answers

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited July 2013 Answer ✓

Check here: http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Event_Hooks

it's a community created wiki full of great Vanilla Docs :)

• Well your my blessing! Thanks a lot!

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@Qvintus said:

I take great passion in scripting and programming, never have I stumbled upon this before since I've always had an API documentation where I could seek information.

I'm afraid you have been spoiled (in a good way). In over 15 years in the field, I found complete API documentation in just a handful of cases. Most of the time, the answer was "figure out and do the same" (this approach was often suggested by developers of some expensive commercial products).

Regarding vanilla, @adriansonline gave you the right suggestion. The documentation is still "work in progress", but it's quite good already.

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

@businessdad I agree. Before the wiki it was much much harder...so I appreciate everyone's help in the fact it even exists. It's also a good reminder for us all to continue adding to it :)

• I see, I will do my best not to spoil my self too much then. So far I've tried to learn everything by my self watching youtube and searching the interwebz. But as mentioned I've pretty much always had an API documentation, but I guess it's because I've been mostly working with C# and Java. They seem to be well documented.

Again Thanks a lot for showing me this wiki. I still don't fully understand how to do some of this stuff, but will do my best to figure it out my self at first. I can't learn from getting everything handed to me ^_^

• its a rabbit path - but personally, I think alot of good tips are here, which would have eventually led you to the wiki :).

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20231/how-to-become-somewhat-adept-at-modifying-vanilla-to-meet-your-needs-for-free

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.