Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Strange Errors and Timeouts with PDO

13»

Comments

• Options

I just registered because I'm experiencing the same issue.

I run a small vanilla forum (50K postings, about 10 active users at peak) on a free hoster.

At first I thought that running vanilla on a free hoster (where a wide array of php functions are disabled) was the problem.
    My hope was that switching to 2.2 would fix it, but unfortunately it still happens in 2.1 and 2.2
    I can confirm that it only happens when you're in the editor and the draft is being saved. My hoster only gives me a 503 error so I couldn't investigate any further.
    It happens more often when you have a lot of discussion-tabs with the editor in focus open. (It almost appeared immediately when i opened about 30 tabs). I doubt that with so few users the database is at its limit, though.

It also happened when I had WhosOnline disabled.

• Options

@Bleistivt said:
    I can confirm that it only happens when you're in the editor and the draft is being saved. My hoster only gives me a 503 error so I couldn't investigate any further.

Which editor are you using? tinyMCE? CLEditor?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited August 2013

You are lucky to be able to do anything on a free host.

Obviously auto-draft involves polling. I would disable auto-draft on a free hosts. I would also have stuck with 2.0.

Cheap host are difficult to run a forum of any size, so if I was on a free host I would be very conservative, with what features I'd use. Pretty much anything that involves pinging the server regular would be off limits.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@x00 said:
    I would disable auto-draft on a free hosts.

How can this be done? I've found no config setting for this.
    Would it be necessary to delete each $this->AddJsFile('autosave.js'); or is this file needed?
    Would it be better to change var options = $.extend({interval: 60000, button: false}, opts);in autosave.js to var options = $.extend({interval: 0, button: false}, opts);?

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited August 2013

@Bleistivt said: I can confirm that it only happens when you're in the editor and the draft is being saved. My hoster only gives me a 503 error so I couldn't investigate any further

Which editor are you using? tinyMCE? CLEditor?

@UnderDog: If this is the case than the problem is also there with ButtonBar activated as i'm using this formatter.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • Options

@phreak said:
    UnderDog: If this is the case than the problem is also there with ButtonBar activated as i'm using this formatter.

Understood, but solve it step-by-step. Remember that a bug report needs to be created to solve the problem in the software. The vanilla-team just needs to know what to fix, before they can fix it.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

I'm also using ButtonBar.

@x00 I just discovered the Stop Auto Draft Plugin and will try this now. Still everything else works surprisingly well even on a cheap host (if you're ok with enabling plugins manually and not having cURL).

But as @phreak 's forum has the same issue, this might not be entirely host-related.