Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

I need a theme that will work for the computer and mobile app, etc.

I need a theme that will work for the computer and mobile app, etc. One that will fit to all, that looks very nice, the vanilla standard one is very plain! I have tried a few that look OK, but are too small when i look at them on my smart phone, does anyone know one that will work for all, that looks great!? I have vanilla 2. Thank you :-)

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited August 2013

Why don't you make a normal theme for the PC and a Mobile friendly theme for the mobiles that will visit your site? Then match the styles of both teams so they look alike? 2 themes, 1 style for both themes.

Also see this comment : http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/189793/#Comment_189793

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Check out responsive web design techniques that you can modify your theme to use.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@magda

The only way to get themes exactly how you want them is to do it yourself.

There are now lots of good resources to help beginners get theming quickly, if you search on here.

• Options
    magdamagda New
    edited August 2013

Well how can i change the body size, 000x000 etc in my css etc? Please a step by step :-)

that would make it fit in my phone right?

• Options

@magda

Sorry, but there are lots of guides on here as to how to change pretty much any aspect of a theme.

Giving you a step by step each time is doing you and those who help no good, as you just come back and ask again and again.

Take the trouble to learn, or accept that you will just have to use themes as they are.

• Options

No i just wanted to know where i go in my css to change that, it's a real simple question!

• Options

@magda

And it's a real simple answer, which I'm sure you've had before.

CSS changes in themes are made in the custom.css file.

Now you know.

• Options

We all Have to start somewhere, and i'm new at this, so me not knowing what you know, should not give you the shortness with me and others!

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP
    edited August 2013

@UnderDog said:
    Why don't you make a normal theme for the PC and a Mobile friendly theme for the mobiles that will visit your site? Then match the styles of both teams so they look alike? 2 themes, 1 style for both themes.

Personally, I think that a single, responsive theme would be a better solution, as it would always look consistent and it would be more maintainable than keeping two themes synchronised. However, I must also say that developing a proper responsive theme is not a walk in the park, I have met few designers who are actually able to do it. I found an example of responsive theme (although not the best one) on ThemeForest. If you shrink your window to "mobile size", it changes its structure quite radically, but still remains very usable. That, in my opinion, is a good approach.

@magda The problem you are facing cannot be solved with one or two tweakings. The theme you use must be structured in a certain way, then you can modify its look and feel to your needs. If none of the themes you used seems to be a good starting point, you have two choices:

In case you are thinking that "you just asked a simple question", I'm sorry to inform you that you did not. You asked a very complex question, which cannot be answered with a few lines of tips and tricks.

• Options

Thanks businessdad! but i read online that changing the size under the body, css, can make it fit for mobile...

• Options
    businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@magda said:
    Thanks businessdad! but i read online that changing the size under the body, css, can make it fit for mobile...

It's not so simple. If you look at the theme I linked in my original post, you will see that it changes layout when you shrink the window. This is how you should do it, reducing the size of elements will just make the page unreadable. Unfortunately, I cannot help you more than this, as theme development and web design are not my field, but the link to the documentation about designing responsive themes should give you some directions.

• Options

@magda

We all do indeed need to start somewhere.

My point, to you, is precisely that.

It's time, imo, you started.

It's time you took the advice you have been given, and used the very many threads on here, and the Wiki documentation, to help you get a better understanding of how Vanilla works.

I'll be more inclined to help you if you post what you have tried to do to achieve your aim, rather than your regular 'step-by-step, please.'

• Options

Ok, I've seen enough. Hi @Magda, welcome to the forum. Take all these tips in the comments and hope they will help you a little bit.
    Step 1 is : http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23483/advice-for-all-those-just-starting-out-with-vanilla and step 2 is : http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19915/deploying-a-new-forum-and-adding-a-theme-for-everyone it will avoid questions like : How do I change the style of my body tag, please step-by-step please...

I will close this thread now.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.